Topic

Who sells DCF (Cuben fiber) and supplies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Who sells DCF (Cuben fiber) and supplies

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Well just went on to the Zpacks website to buy some DCF to make a tarp, but Zpacks no longer sells it or the double stick tape. Where can i source DCF and the tape now?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

Ripstopbytheroll.com sells fabric, components and DIY kits.  Just walked in the door with a shipment of two yards .51 Dyneema, 5′ of flat elastic and low profile push buckles. They also sell the tape you’re looking for in 54″ lengths.

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Thanks guys

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Well just went on to the Zpacks website to buy some DCF to make a tarp, but Zpacks no longer sells it or the double stick tape

Another one bites the dust…

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Dutchwaregear also sells .51 cuben and cuben tape.

Questoutfitters has double sided cuben tape.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Bearpaw Designs also sells cuben fiber in 1/2 yard increments.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I couldn’t find the double sided tape on either Dutch’s or the Quest site. Where is it hiding?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

To find the cuben tape at Questoutfitters click  on Coated Fabrics and scroll down to where you see “cuben tape.”

Edit: The link that Link provided is the same tape, just in a different location.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Bearpaw Designs also isn’t selling DCF.

FYI, DCF tape can be made using 3M 9460 VHB tape.  Varies widths can be bought, from 1/2″ up to at least 6″.  Quite expensive, but it holds very well.

Interesting that two cottage shops are holding onto their DCF.  This is quite disappointing; I’ve always thought of zpacks as a place to go for DIY materials.  Glad I have some for stuff sacks, kites, and such, especially the 0.33oz stuff.  They probably think taking this material off the easy to get market will increase their business of manufactured tents and such.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

“Bearpaw Designs also isn’t selling DCF.”

Wonder if that was recent or if I missed it. Either way, hate to hear another vendor dropped out.

Robert R
    BPL Member

@rob-r

Locale: North Texas

I have used Seamstick which is available at Sailright. They have one for canvas and the other is for sailmaking. The one for sailmaking works with DCF.

https://www.sailrite.com/Seamstick-1-2-Basting-Tape-60-Yds

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

FWIW, Kay at Quest Ourfitters told me they stopped selling DCF material because Dyneema Corp is a nightmare to work with. Obviously not the case with other vendors like Zpacks who still buys it by the truck load. If I had to guess, they stopped selling it because they don’t make any money after time spent cutting and packaging.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

I bought some 1/2″ double sided bonding tape from RSBR, and I was rather disappointed. Their double sided tape is fairly goofy to work with, compared with the great tape that ZPacks used to sell. The RSBR tape has ‘protective’ film on both sides, which must of course be removed. So you have to peel one off, apply the sticky side to the first piece of cuben, and then peel off the second before applying it to the other piece of cuben. The ZPacks tape only required one protecting layer to be peeled off.

What made me most grumpy was that my first test of  the 1/2″ tape wasn’t very impressive. After letting it cure/set for 24 hours, I was still able to peel the cuben apart. Joe’s ZPacks tape was pretty much fully cured by 24 hours. Fortunately I only bought $30 worth of that tape, so I’m not out too much.

I the found Link’s ~ 2011 suggestion about Sailrite up in Seattle. I bought 60 yards from them for about $36 shipped. We’ll see how that performs. It should arrive in tomorrow’s mail. The thing about this tape is that it appears to be similar to Joe’s, which comes on a roll and only requires removal of one side of backing. I asked the owner if it was indeed a 3M product, and also what the thickness of the adhesive layer was. He hasn’t replied about that. I’ll report back on how this tape performs.

Damn, it’s tough to be a cuben addict. Maybe I should just say no, and stick with titanium rods and merino wool and food dehydration. But cuben is so cool…

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

When I bought my 9482 PC last year I just ordered six rolls from Uline, kepts two and sold the rest on here for the per roll purchase price plus shipping. They sold very quickly as many people are working with cuben and noone wants six rolls. I would suggest that, if someone really wants guaranteed high quality tape, just order six rolls of name brand 3M stuff and sell the remaining.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

That’s a good idea, Hoosier. So would one have to go through Uline, or is it possible to buy a limited amount directly from 3M (cheaper)?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Not sure on going direct through 3M but I actually just did another search and it looks like you can buy a single roll from RS Hughes.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Today my 60 yard roll of 1/2″ double sided bonding tape arrived in the mail. I purchased it from Sailrite.com, at shipped cost of $35.97. It’s made by 3M and it is the 5 mil thickness 9485PC tape. It appears identical to that which ZPacks sold until recently. An hour ago I did a 1″ test with a couple pieces of scrap 1.43 cuben, and I’ll see how it does after 24 hours. I expect that the bond will be better than the RSBR tape I tried last week. The price per yard is pretty good, as was the customer service. And one can buy just one roll, and not 6-8 of them. I might now have a lifetime supply of this tape. Thanks for the ‘referral’,  Link! Cuben stuff sacks ‘R’ Us…

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Good thing I have been waiting to purchase my materials since posting this thread. Great info guys!

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

My experience with what Zpacks used to sell, vs. 9460VHB tape, was creep under load. This might be better than sudden failure (if there is no creep), but I went with the 9460 for my tarp.

See https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/75909/

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Just a follow up on the performance of the 3M double sided tape I mentioned above – I let it set/cure for 40 hours, and the two pieces of scrap cuben are quite well bonded together. This tape seems to work nicely, as opposed to the tape I bought from RSBR (or however you guys abbreviate it).

William N
    Spectator

@will-n-too

I apologize in advance. I can be pretty annoying, off topic… but I think we are all curious why Cuben Fiber is so expensive, after all it’s plastic. It’s really great plastic, but it’s still plastic. Reading about why sailboats don’t seem to be using it anymore, the Wikipedia article mentions ‘longitudinal stretch under load.’ “The patented treatment of the Cuben Fiber is said to minimize this elongation” Which is probably not really much of an issue to our community (if my airfoil shaped racing sail on my yacht stretches even a little, it’s sub-par and I lose. If my catenary rain fly stretches a little, I just need to fiddle with the line.)  The Wikipedia article says that “Cuben Fiber is a laminated fabric constructed from Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) fiber monofilaments and polyester, PVF etc. films.” So I googled UHMWPE fabric and found this Alibaba page:  https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/uhmwpe-fabric.html

Also because Cuben Fiber has existed since 1992, it’s basic technology is out of patent. The Dyneema corp buying Cuben corp can keep prices high, it’s one source and they have to pay the debt on the buy out (hopefully we’re long past believing mergers are paid for by cash-on-hand. They count customers/ orders add 15% and raise prices or keep them high). Now, some of the Chinese fabric might already be so similar to the Cuben Fiber we covet, or it may not be. It will be less expensive. I can bet that laminating sheets together with fiberglass strands is not only possible, but also that these factories would be interested in doing it. UV resistance, weight-to-strength… I don’t know. We might just end up with Ikea bags. They’d want us to buy more than we could possibly use as individuals. A small company could probably make it happen. They’d be interested because they well know that an improved product attracts more business. Don’t forget what Charlton Heston was shouting at the end of Soylent Green: “Cuben fiber is plastic! it’s just plastic!”

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Dang it. I just purchased a roll of 3M 9482PC. I think I bought the wrong material.

9482 is 2mil thick

9485 is 5mil

The materials are the same otherwise. Is that a problem?

Wild Exped
    BPL Member

@bankse

Locale: OZ

I would just try it. The only attribute that will really matter (in a good design) is if it works as a shear bond.. and if it’s pulling fibres from the DCF that is strong enough, yeah. Tapes mechanism also pressure sensitive, i’ve never thought in terms of ‘cure’. .. a poor joint has been, for me, from not rolling out the join and removing any air.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools