Topic

Who hikes in cold, wet conditions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Who hikes in cold, wet conditions?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Anyone here does multi day hike in wet and cold places such as PNW, Alaska, Japan, Scotland, Scandinavia etc? Or you know some who does?

Please connect. Would like to chat by PM about an opportunity to field test a new product. Thank you!

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I do.

I use it as a tool for avoiding the crowds and forest fires in the Pacific Northwest of the US.

Just returned from a very wet backpack on the Wilderness Beach of Olympic National Park in Washington State.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I was hiking up a low mountain north of Denali yesterday, one on Kodiak this morning and will be walking the dog in Kenai this afternoon. All in cold and wet conditions in my non-Goretex, low-cut, breathable shoes.

That’s more far-flung locations for me than most 24-hour periods – I’m flirting around Alaska doing a bunch of site assessments for cell towers.

Aaron W
    BPL Member

@duwen10

My brother and I went for another round on the  the Loowit Trail around Mt St Helens this past weekend. It was rain, sleet, and snow with 30-40 mph winds. We had the trail to ourselves. Saw a lot of goats and elk.  Less than ideal conditions give me just the isolation I need from time to time.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

No need to go to the great northwest or Alaska to get wet and stay wet.  Worst debacle was an intended North-to-South  end-to-end on Vermont’s Long Trail that began with heavy rain on the second day, and for every day after that.  Had to stop every hour or so, drain the boots and wring out the sox,. and the footing was lousy due to the mud.  After a week, called my brother who lives in VT and said ‘Get me the ____ out of here,’  And he was good enough to bail me out.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Cold rain is the most miserable weather outside of a Class 3 Killstorm (the cool kids will get the reference).  I’ve hiked in it, but not enjoyed it one bit.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Happens during thru-hikes. Expect them. Be equipped to handle them.

Day walks and overnights – not so much.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools