Topic

Who has my dream shelter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Who has my dream shelter?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Waterproof bivy, side entry, sub 1lb, no-see-um for bugs/star gazing with some kind of frame or mechanism that keeps the top of the bivy of my face and sleeping bag.

Andrew Stevens
    BPL Member

@nuttool

I’m working on that because I want it too.  I’ll keep you posted.  I played with a lot of different frames and I think I’ve settled on a hoop construction,   It will be two hoops, one going straight up with height to change possibly.   The other hoop will be at the same base as the first hoop, but will pivot all the way down for rain, partially down for ventilation, and all the way up for star gazing with bug netting.  I haven’t found the material for the poles.  I’ve made poles with the lightest carbon fiber from Quest and they are light but do not bend enough.  I was going to make the main pole of either very light aluminum or carbon fiber if I can find a pre-bent version.  The second hoop will probably be made of lightweight plastic tubing such as is used for ice machines.  I could certainly use some ideas on pole material.  I’m shooting for 9 or 10 ounces, with a combo of .5 cuben especially for the bathtub floor and wpb material for the top.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Or… you could get a nice TT Notch Lithium with enough room to change your mind. ;o0

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I had a look around . All I could find at the weight or lower are water resistant type bivvies, the type people use under a tarp or inside a mid .

however it doesn’t mean that it does not exist…

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Borah Gear makes an eVent bivy at 13.9 oz. It has some bug netting, but no frame, only a loop to pull the fabric off your face.

Miles Gear makes a Pico Bivy which might be closest. 19 oz and head entry. He uses Tyvek for the floor, so I wonder how much weight could be saved with a lighter material.

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Anytime head of the Wisp 1p SuperBivy Tent by Big Sky?  Looks too good to believe….

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/new-big-sky-wisp-1p-tent/

From 2016, so probably the original version and not the updated version (I have no idea what got updated).

Idownman
    BPL Member

@idownman

I might sell mine, the cuben fiber model. PM me if you were interested

Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

Ryan Jordan mentioned in his cold weather video the event is the way to go.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools