Topic

Which Zebralight Headlamp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which Zebralight Headlamp?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Aaron …

Lumens is a VERY overated spec

as i said my tikka RXP has just as much PRACTICAL output as my HL55 despite having 1/3 to 1/2 the lumen

simply because it has BOTH a spot and flood beam …

is the JMT that rugged? …. Except when climbing or at key routefinding points on the descent i dont usually use more than 50 lm on my HL55 or 25 lm on my RXP … The spot on the RXP makes them equivalent for trail use …. And thats on scrambling approaches

that hero if UL, killian jornet uses petzls just fine for night running and all his endeavors

2 years ago an ultramarathoer got struck by lightning and still finished the race … All it needed was a bat change to keep working

A: What happened to the headlamp? Is it now a good luck charm?

AC: Although I am assured their warranty will cover it, I am keeping the headlamp. It is a momento and the centerpiece of a story that I’m sure I’ll be telling for quite some time.

I will send the battery to Petzl, the manufacturer, to examine. Remarkably, now that I changed the battery pack, the lamp still works. So not only do they make a life saving device, it can also withstand a lightening strike. I’ll be bringing it on future runs.

http://adventureblog.nationalgeographic.com/2014/07/15/fast-as-lightning-runner-adam-campbell-survives-lightning-to-take-3rd-at-colorados-hardrock-100/

mark

keep in mind i DO own and use TWO HL55s, which are basically the equivalent to the 18650 zebralights in output and runtime

and i always lend my second one to partners for night climbing

all in saying is that petzls are by no means obsolete 

they are just built for different purposes than for flasholics

You want to know the MOST important thing for a headlamp for all night activities when yr life depends on it?

RELIABILITY

there are many times when you cant even pull out yr backup lamp out of yr pack safely

everything else is secondary to this

anyone want to do the “shower challenge” with their zebralight …. Im basically offering a free dead bird squamish windpants which you cant get commercially

;)

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

keep in mind i DO own and use TWO HL55s, which are basically the equivalent to the 18650 zebralights in output and runtime

I did not recommend the HL55 though, and the op requested info on Zebralight models not Fenix and not Petzl.

I recommended the H600w

Speaking as someone who’s owned the HL55 i can categorically state in my opinion the H600w is better in every respect.

You are taking the worst parts of a completely different torch and stating nonsense about the H600w as though it’s fact.

If you want to compare the RXP to the HL55 that’s great, but as you haven’t actually used or owned a H600w any opinion on it’s use in a real world environment is completely pointless

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Oh dear mark

did you hear me say a SINGLE bad word about a zebralight???

please provide the quote …

the zebralight fanbois get all worked up when folks point out that other brands work just fine …

zebralight better than fenix? …

well one thing ive noticed is that the fenix us MUCH simpler to use (and yes ive tried someones zebralight)

it takes a newbie 10 seconds to master the light

for flashaholics thats bad, but when yr out in lead 20 feet (looking at a 40+ fr whipper) above yr last piece simpler is better

lent my partner my fenix for this climb … He bought one himself the next week

let me ask you mark … What are YOU doing with you many zebralights that others cant do with other lamps just fine

;)

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

RELIABILITY

there are many times when you cant even pull out yr backup lamp out of yr pack safely

everything else is secondary to this

5 years use out of my oldest H600 without a single problem.

It’s rare that a week will pass without at least 2 hours use, as i say no problems at all.

I do carry a H602w as a back up/camp torch on multi-day trips, but as it only weighs 42g it’s not real worry.

anyone want to do the “shower challenge” with their zebralight …. Im basically offering a free dead bird squamish windpants which you cant get commercially

Struggling to see what point you are trying to make here, i’ve changed the battery many times over the years in pouring rain, it’s an easy process without any drama.

If it’s easy for me (i only have the use of 1 arm) then it’s a very easy procedure.

Even IF it was a worry, you can get over 11 hours use on the 150 lumen setting, there is not many that spend more than 11 hours running or hiking at night on a regular basis.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Mark thats off a FRESH bat

how exactly will you make sure you have a FRESH BAT at the start of EVERY NIGHT on a multiday …

unless u bring a charger and powerpack you cant …

Ever been on rappel in the blowing rain on the side of a rock face and needing to change bats? I have.

the point is petzls are designed with SEPERATE battery compartments for a reason

i mean does NO one want a pair of dead bird squamish windpqnts (LEAF, law enforcement and armed forces) version

;)

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

Eric,

I think this is getting to the point of trolling now, use what you want to use, if you like Petzl that’s great.

I recommended a Zebralight headtorch on a thread where the op specifically asked “Which Zebralight Headlamp” yet you seem to have the bit between your teeth as you keep going on and on and on Petzl’s.

the zebralight fanbois get all worked up when folks point out that other brands work just fine …

The op specifically asked about Zebralight models, the thread is clearly marked “Which Zebralight Headlamp” no one is getting worked up except you.

zebralight better than fenix? …

I never said that, i said that for my use my H600w is better than the HL55, is absolutely pointless comparing brands, ZL have made some great torches but they’ve also had their problems, Fenix have made some great torches and they’ve also made some stinkers.

I have zero loyalty to Zebralight or any other torch manufacturer, i buy their products because they do what i want a torch to do, if a manufacturer comes out with something i think is better then i’ll try it, if it works out to be better in real world use then i’ll use it and pass on the older torch.

well one thing ive noticed is that the fenix us MUCH simpler to use (and yes ive tried someones zebralight)

Again, a comparison that’s so vague it’s useless.
    Some Fenix torches have a great simple UI, others like my TK70 are terrible.

As i say it’s pointless vaguely wagging a finger in the general direction of any manufacturer.
    Some of the ZL models UI’s can take some getting used to, but i gave me 70 year old Mum one of my SC5w’s, she still can’t work out how to send a SMS, yert she uses the SC5w without any trouble once i showed her, so it can’t be that bad.

Nice pic, maybe next time you can use a proper light ;)
    (just kidding around btw)

photo 11754362_10153498845894851_201726577174961279_o_zpsorlkmrtr.jpg

let me ask you mark … What are YOU doing with you many zebralights that others cant do with other lamps just fine

By the same token, why are we driving and flying around everywhere when our legs or a horse will do.
    Torches are a bit of a hobby for me, as i said above i don’t care what it says on the box, i only care about how they work in the chosen environment, i’ver used or owned most of the usual suspects as far as headtorches go and for me the H600w works the best

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

how exactly will you make sure you have a FRESH BAT at the start of EVERY NIGHT on a multiday …

At the risk of stating the obvious, i bring spare batteries

photo IMG_3710_zpse6154e9c.jpg

Because 18650’s are used in many applications i also use them to recharge my phone if needed

photo IMG_3678_zps1fca9a2d.jpg

If we stop off in a town or hotel i recharge

photo IMG_3669_zps2124588e.jpg

If not i’ll just carry the amount of batteries i think i need.

Should clarify, i don’t hike 11 hours at night and even if i did i wouldn’t do it every night.

With 18650’s and a efficient torch you can get a really good run time.

Ever been on rappel in the blowing rain on the side of a rock face and needing to change bats? I have.

Might be time to go for a 18650 torch so the battery doesn’t run out while you’re out.

the point is petzls are designed with SEPERATE battery compartments for a reason

i mean does NO one want a pair of dead bird squamish windpqnts (LEAF, law enforcement and armed forces) version

Again i’m struggling to see your point.

There is zero problem changing the batteries on the H600w in the rain, i don’t see how you would think it would be difficult.

Even IF water ingress was a problem it’s easy enough to change the battery in a pocket, yep done that (cold hand).

Can’t think of any torches i’ve used that have had a problem changing batteries in the rain, so i do find it odd that you seem to be stuck on this as in real world use it’s really not an issue at all.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

So everyone now agres that petzls are not “outdated” and “obsolete” as said the previous page?

HUGS ALL AROUND !!!

Thats a nice wide trail you got there mark …. Dont need any 1000 lm for that (some friendly ribbing)

what one DOES need ~1000 lm for is gettting back down to that sbucks before it closes !!!

;)

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

An 18650 powered Zebralight will have 3-4 times the run time of the best Petzl with the same weight and lumens and as much as 10X the run time of the cheaper/worse Petzl lights. The argument that Petzl’s are some how remotely superior because you can change the battery underwater is fairly comical. Do they get the job done? Of course they do, if they didn’t nobody would use them. They are time tested, fairly durable and reliable. They are also hard on the eyes to many, have poor CRI, have poor run times and have less options for output.

I don’t disparage people for using different gear than I do but am always open to give and receive apples to apples comparisons of products because that’s the only way I can learn and make the choice that’s right for me. Given this is a ZL thread I think the OP has all the info he needs.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Mark

petzls arent just built for walking around nice wide trails … They get used by athletes in the most extreme conditions … The design reflects having to do bat changes under such conditiobs

so yr bringing a 18650 bat for EACH NIGHT to make sure you havea fresh bat???? Doesnt seem very “weight efficient”

perhaps you havent been night climbing but one can blow through a 18650 bat easily on a full nights climbing (sunset to dawn) … And without a fresh bat every night youll need to do a bat change

even when its not a full nights climbing there a big advantage to having a topped up bat to start every day on technical climbs so you arent stuck in the middle of a lead or rappel having to change the bats

oh an i DO use my 18650 fenix lamps for rock climbing …. But if i feel like i need a topped up bat EVERY day for several days ill bring my RXP and a powerpack

Come on take my dead bird … Heres a little secret, i paid one dollah for it years ago …. Bought a whole bunch, gave away most

i dont use windpants, so in sure some BPLer will get better use than me from em

dead birds like headlamps are meant to be used alot … Outside … And not walking da dawg either

;)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Eric …

you DO know for routefinding that 300 LM of good throw beats   600 LM of flood anyday?

lumens is an absolutely overated spec

the beam shape matters MUCH more

the advantage if the petzl nao and RXP is that it has BOTH spot and flood and that it automatically adjusts to what you need

youll notice 2 of the best ULer alpinist/runners, jornet and steck, use em despite their “heaviness”

and not just to look good in ads, steck was awarded the piolet d or for his annapurna solo

i think its absolutely hilarious that folks are going on about how muc better zebralights are …

yet when you look at the TOP athletes pushing the human limits where every gram matters (jornet and steck count every ounce), its “normal” headlamos that get used

;)

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Can I go back and actually ask a ZL question please?

why would one choose Floody over Spot?  Which is better for all around night hiking/trail running?  I can’t seem to figure out which would be better….

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Jen

you asked a question that goes beyond ZL

spot vs flood is one of the great arguments of flashaholics

Basically it depends on your terrain and usage

more throw (spot) allows you to see much farther but at a sacrifice of your peripheral vision …. It literally shines a big spot

this is great for routefinding when you want to look down a trail or up/down a cliff to make sure youre going the right way

a flood spreads the light out with less if any hotspot … So you get great peripheral lighting at the expense of the length

for certain activities like rock climbing (where you really need to see the rock around you) or bushwhacking (so you dont trip on everything) at night this is quite essential

many lights have a bit of both in their setup … Decent flood but a hotspot still

some lights might have a diffuser like the older fenix and petzls so you can flip it on for flood or spot

many “brand name” headlamos have both a spot and flood bulb but that adds weight

Once you get around 500-1000 lumens with a floody lamp you can “blow through” the darkness with sheer power … But even then itll still not be as good in the distance as a headlamp with a dedicated throw thats half as “powerful”

lumens by itself doesnt mean much …. Its the beam (volume) that it lights up and the beam pattern you want that matters

;)

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

Can I go back and actually ask a ZL question please?

why would one choose Floody over Spot?  Which is better for all around night hiking/trail running?  I can’t seem to figure out which would be better….

Really boils down to personal preference Jennifer.

Personally i prefer a more focused beam when both hiking and trail running, i run with a friend that prefers a more floody light though

With a more focused beam i find that if i set it on it’s highest output my eyes seem to pick out obstacles like roots and rocks better as i get more of a 3D image in my mind as i get closer.

With my floody lights i seem to stumble a LOT more.

I put it down to my mind having more data points to draw that 3D image as with a beam that has more throw i’m picking my route 15m in front of me, compared to 5m with a thrower of the same output.

As i say though my mate runs with a low powered floody light and seems to do just fine.

One more thing to consider is that more lumens will be lost on a floody at the area you’ll be looking at.

What i mean by that is, if we take 2 x 750 lumen lights, 1 floody 1 with more throw, the one with more throw will have those 750 lumens more concentrated in 1 area (usually the area you are looking, with a headtorch), with a more floody light a lot of that lumen output will be scattered in areas you’re not looking.

For close work there isn’t really that much lumen loss, with anything more than 5m away though it really starts to show.

Kris
    BPL Member

@causidicus

Mark, I see you use a lighted dog collar.  Maybe this PupLight will interest you.

The light, itself, is disappointing but the swivel attachment works great and let’s you position the beam so your dog can get the most out of it.

In Tucson during the summer, I couldn’t walk my dogs any earlier than 10:00 PM because of the heat (it wasn’t uncommon to still be above 100F at that time).  And rattlesnakes are very common there.  So the PupLights let me easily see where my dogs were and let me see if there were any rattlers ahead of them.

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

When I plan to go off trail extensively (sawtooths, wind rivers) I usually carry my 90 degree floody H600Fd III and a SC600w Mk III HI which has a decent throw. It’s a little extra wight but then I have a backup, don’t cary any loose extra batteries and have the best of both worlds. Most of the time the friends I’m with have headlamps or flashlights that don’t excel at either and are usually quite dim so it’s kind of cool to be able to turn night to day at times and not worry about running out of juice. Is it necessary, of course not, but one of those luxuries that we sometimes take.

The H600Fd is less floody than many headlamps I’ve used but on higher settings can still throw enough light that I like the balance. I’m pretty slow on the trail though so honestly, even a very floody light would probably be just fine for my uses. Someone moving at a good clip may find a more focussed beam to be a benefit. As is mentioned above, a lot of it comes down to personal preference and intended usage.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Jennifer,

If you are using the light mainly for camp, the flood is very clean and the way to go.

If you are using it specifically for night hiking, then no way.  The dual beam of the regular Zebralights are very good for hiking.

I own 6 Fenix headlamps and 3 Zebralight headlamps.

First ZL was a flood and I hated it.  Only because I want night hike use for it and being a single AA, it wasn’t very ideal (gave into a friend).

My 2 most resent headlight purchases have been the ZL.  I first got the H600w Mk II 18650 XM-L2 Headlamp Neutral White and loved it so much that I picked up a H32w CR123 Headlamp Neutral White.

Every headlamp I owned except a few cheap ones before the 2 Zebralight purchases have  all been either Petzel’s, PT, or Fenix lights.

Petal’s are great for what they are, but what they are doesn’t cover much of what I want.

Fenix, great 5 years ago.  Run times just don’t touch the ZL and weight sucks.  I’ve also had 3 of the 6 stop working because of the – cheap plastic build quality?

I also have 2 Fenix flashlights.  The flashlights are much better than there headlamps in build quality, but run times still suck compared to ZL.

The Zebralights- Flawless in every way.  Love the beam pattern.  The neutral white is a really good color as well.

So yes, I can honestly say that Zebralights blow away the Fenix.

And I don’t own a HL55 because I would rather carry 4.4 ounces on my head than 5.7 and have better run times while I’m at it.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Well im not quite sure how you can say a H600 “blows away” a fenix HL55 when the lumens settings dont even line up

not to mention that the HL60R is the current latest version

all this “zebralight is best rah rah rah” is actually pretty cultish …. ANY good 18650 lamp will wotk just fine and the differences are fairly minute of concern to flashaholics

what can YOU do with a H600 that you cant with a HL55?

as to “reliability” my HL55 gets whacked against the rock all te time … Anyone who climbs vertical technical rock climbs with a headlamp on their helmet will find this out

theyve survived just fine so far

im reminded of not too long ago on BPL when only cuben was acceptable cause its the “best”

;)

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

Mr. Chan –

In all mildness, do you mind taking a break on the fenix/petzl pushing (at least in this thread)?  The prodding statements IN ALL CAPS are quite obtrusive when it comes to Internet discussion and electronic communication etiquette in general.  Perhaps you can create a thread about your preferred light brand(s) versus others, rather than continuing to derail this one?  I mean this in all sincerity and BPL community-ness.

With regard to Zebralights, is there another resaler for them that you BPLers use, or do you buy direct from their site?  I’m seriously considering an H52w or H602w….. or even an H32w.  This will be for Sierra backpacking and a JMT thruhike in September.  Ideally it’ll be for camp primarily, but I’m hoping for an early morning summit of Whitney so there will be some definite ‘night’ hiking.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Mister drew

im simply responding to statements on the last page claiming that other brands are “outdated” and that zebralights are “superior”

if there was such a clear “superiority” you would be seeing zebralight at the very forefront of human limits

and you dont

Just dont claim that they are the “best”

the “best” is based on not just CRI, and paper lumens/runtimes

sincerly a BPLer who doesnt drink the kool-aid

;)

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

ZebraLight – 4.4oz (with battery)

• 150 Lm (11 hrs)
    • 65 Lm (30 hrs)

Fenix HL60R- 5.9oz (with battery)

• Mid: 150 Lumens (10 hr.)
    • Low: 50 Lumens (29 hr.)

They look like the lumens line up pretty close to me.

I’m not saying the HL55/ 60 is bad at all.  Great body.  Much better than the cheap plastic style headlamps of theirs.

If you gave someone the option of which headlamp they would want just based off the specs above, gee, which one would you pick?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Aaron

read the fine print

the HL60R runtimes is with the included 2600 mah bat … The h600 is with a 3400 mah

with equivalent bats the HL60R is MORE EFFICIENT at 150 lm …

which is no surprise since it uses a similar XML2 and has the latest fenix driver

not to mention is also has USB recharging … So you can top off the bat anytime and dont need to carry a seperate charger when yr in town

and it has a bat level indicator … So you know easily when to top off or change bats

and for those who care it has red light

zebralights are fine lights im sure

But paper specs arent everything

;)

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

Fenix did a great job with the HL60R. Other than being a bit on the heavy side for trail running it’s a super versatile headlamp and for your average backpacker would be a great option.

For the OP, here is a nice table that breaks down the different 18650 versions of zebralights. I would avoid the 120 degree reflector-less flood 602 models for backpacking.

Zebralight’s headlamp models are confusing, I made a table. from flashlight

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

Mark, I see you use a lighted dog collar.  Maybe this PupLight will interest you.

That’s fantastic Chris, thanks for the heads up

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

With regard to Zebralights, is there another resaler for them that you BPLers use, or do you buy direct from their site?  I’m seriously considering an H52w or H602w….. or even an H32w.  This will be for Sierra backpacking and a JMT thruhike in September.  Ideally it’ll be for camp primarily, but I’m hoping for an early morning summit of Whitney so there will be some definite ‘night’ hiking.

Drew,

So far i’ve bought all mine direct from ZL, their stocking/production levels can be terrible at times, i’ve seen models sell out within a week of being released and not be back in stock for weeks if not months.

It’s not usually a problem for me as i have lights to use, but if someone wants a particular model for a trip ZL don’t always have them in stock, so it can be extremely frustrating.

The only thing worse is ZL’s releases dates, please please please don’t wait for a light thinking it’ll be released anytime around the time ZL say it will, it’s pretty much a in joke with flashaholics now that they’ll never be even close.

If there is a model you want but ZL have it on Backorder then it is worth searching as there are stores over there that sell them, a friend has ordered a ZL from Knifecentre and had good service from them, but there are others.

One other word of caution, if you go for oner of the higher output 18650 versions it’s absolutely essential to use a good quality 18650 battery, it’s also essential to buy the battery from a reputable supplier as i’ve seen many cases of Chinese sellers relabelling cheap poor quality batteries as good ones.

It seems that as each generation of ZL’s get smaller fewer and fewer new models are able to use protected 18650’s.

I’m currently using Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh 18650’s in my newer ZL models, they’re high output fit well and work great, you can usually find these for around $5 each.

The usual cautions of charging need to be taken into consideration with non-protected 18650’s though.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools