Topic

Which weldable material to use for drybag subject to abrasion?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Which weldable material to use for drybag subject to abrasion?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Looking for a material that can withstand being taken in and out of a whitewater kayak…a material durable enough to take this, sliding over sand in the hull, for years yet be supple enough to easily compress….something not too heavy. The first material that comes to mind is some sort of “dyneema x” or “x pac”….but it needs to be weldable.

Any ideas?

Samantha R
    BPL Member

@sam-in-juneau

Locale: SE Alaska

I have been thinking and wondering about the same question, for a beach-cruising sailing canoe.  So far, my best guess has been to use a light nylon packcloth or similar bag (sewn) for the abrasion resistance, with a welded drybag liner of vinyl or polyethylene.  OTOH, one of the heat sealable nylon fabrics such as http://seattlefabrics.com/Heat-Sealable-Nylons_c_80.html might do the entire job but I know little about the durability of the heat seal and coating with those fabrics.  I will be looking for other comments as well!

— Sam

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I just made a pair of conical dry bags for the inside of my whitewater kayak from heat sealable 70 denier nylon. I consider them temporary. In my experience, heat sealable nylon like the stuff sold by Seattle Fabrics has pretty poor tear strength and fair abrasion resistance. It might last one season. My recommendation is to forget about welding. Manufacturers are able to make strong welded seams with ultrasonic welding equipment. I’d suggest bonding the seams or sewing and sealing. It will be stronger and you will have many material options.

Samantha R
    BPL Member

@sam-in-juneau

Locale: SE Alaska

Thanks for your feedback on the heat sealable nylon, Colin.

— Sam

Gregory Hardy
    BPL Member

@rockgeist-2

Locale: Rockgeist - Bikepack USA

If sewing and sealing, Xpac VX33 and VX50 (multi cams) have a polyester film inner lining that takes well to sealing. The much cheaper X21 RC fabric has the same poly lining as well with the 210d nylon face.

– greg

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I should have stated that the bags are for a commercial venture….with me acting as the designer. I’m now helping the company who will be marketing the bags choose an appropriate material. Manufacturing options will only be limited by material. (that said, hope I have not violated any rules here)

Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools