Topic

Which weight of Capilene?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which weight of Capilene?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I’m officially confused.  Capilene used to be sold by numbers, with the higher number being heavier.  I have a Capilene 2 bottom, and Capilene 4 (Expedition weight) top.  I’ve been wanting a layer that is usable in the 45-55 F range, where my Capilene 4 top is a little too much.  So, I picked up a couple of Midweight tops on sale, thinking that that would be comparable to the Capilene 2, which was the mid-range tops.  The shirts feel heavier to me than the Capilene 4 shirt that I have.  Looking at the Midweight top on the Patagonia website, they are 195 g, and the Thermal weight are 175 g.  Is less supposed to be more warm?  Or am I looking at the definitions wrong?  Did I just purchase for myself 2 more of the equivalent of Capilene 4?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

The lightweight is the least warm, the midweight is the middle warm, and the thermal weight is the warmest. Yes, the thermal weight is lighter and warmer. That’s because it uses a very airy/lofty grid fabric where the midweight uses a denser fabric. The new thermal weight is thinner and less warm than the old cap 4.

The midweight is much warmer than the cap 2. The cap 2 is a thinner baselayer while the midweight is a thicker, warm base layer. The cap 2 was never really much warmer than the cap 1, it was just a different type of fabric. I find the cap 2 suitable for hot weather.

If you wanted something less warm than the cap 4, but warmer than a regular thin base layer, the midweight might work well for you.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Cap 1 = silkweight = daily (well, sort of)

Cap 2 = lightweight

Cap 3 = midweight

Cap 4 = thermal weight

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

The new thermal weight is thinner and less warm than the old cap 4

I actually find the new Cap thermal weight to be warmer than the old Cap 4…the grid makes it effectively thicker by trapping more air.  Of course this only works when worn under a wind blocking outer layer.  Worn without an outer layer, the wind whistles right through it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools