Topic

Which UL Rain Jacket? Zpacks Vertice, Montbell Versalite, EE Visp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Which UL Rain Jacket? Zpacks Vertice, Montbell Versalite, EE Visp?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Scott F.
    BPL Member

@sfeuerenvironmentalforesight-com-2

Locale: West Coast & Sierra Nevada

Looking for an ultralight rain jacket XL size for West Coast/Sierra Nevada Range 3-seasons.  I hike warm and pit zips a must.  Narrowing my research down to Zpacks Vertice, Montbell Versalite, or EE Visp rain jacket.  What do you all think?  Pros and Cons between each?  Others?  Much appreciated.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The only one I have tried was the older model of the Mont-Bell Versalite.  It was a nice jacket in a lot of ways, really full featured and had a good fit.  If you plan on wearing it all day, I’m not a huge fan of 2.5 layer shells as they tend to get clammy, but it was a step above the OR Heliem and similar jackets.  My question on the new model is how long would it take for the GTX Windstopper membrane to clog with oil.

Mont-Bell Versalite

Pro’s I see – Mont-Bell has a history of making high end, high quality gear.  Patterning and fit should be excellent.  The fabric is Gore Tex (despite my distain for their marketing and business practices, I have found GTX rain gear to be the best on the market). Cost is decent. My guess is the fit and finish of the Mont-Bell will be superior to the others.

Cons – 2.5 layer fabric, unknown durability of membrane (oil contamination) – though I think Gore would stand behind it.

Enlighted Equipment Visp

I’ve never owned a EE product but while their quilts seem like a good value, they appear to not have as good of patterning as Nunatak and Katabatic, so I wonder if that would carry over.

Pro’s – 3L fabric, which I prefer in all day rain, Assuming you can believe it the breath ability number is off the charts.  Can be custom ordered will lots of features and color options.  Price is decent.

Cons- It looks like patterning and fit are not the best.  Unknown fabric

I’ve owned a few Z-Packs pieces (two packs, a quilt, and a shelter and some misc stuff sacks etc) and while they were all perfectly functional , they really did look like they were sewn in someones garage.

Pro’s – Fabric made in Japan (so it must be decent right??), Full featured

Con’s – Expensive compared to the other two, patterning and fit, helmet compatible hood, sewing quality???

BPL Reviewed the EE and Z-Packs recently.

Scott F.
    BPL Member

Brad thank very much for your thorough response.  The information you provided is really helpful as these jackets are pretty expensive.  I’m favoring Mont-bell at the moment.  Thanks again and stay well.

Joe McNair
    BPL Member

@bamadawg999

I have the Mont-Bell Versalite and used it on the trail before leaving because of the virus. Very quality product. Fit was perfect. Really enjoyed the pit zips. The only negative is that the front zipper can be a pain especially if it is cold out. Hard to get it zipped. Over all I would definitely recommend it.

Scott F.
    BPL Member

Thanks Joe.  Sorry your trip ended due the virus.  Your reply on your Mont-bell jacket is helpful however.  I also just read this recent BPL article https://backpackinglight.com/enlightened-equipment-visp-rain-jacket-review/

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

I posted this on the EE Visp review thread. BTW, I bought my Vertice in December 2019. The stitching and workmanship is fine for this item and other stuff I’ve bought over the past year.

As Andrew says, the Visp bears comparison to the zPacks Vertice. But when comparing roominess, cut, and weight, remember that the Vertice runs very small — comparisons should be with a Vertice a size larger [than the Visp or whatever].

I’m 5’10” and weigh 168 pounds. I take a 42″ regular in sport coats and usually get a large in t-shirts, fleeces, and other tops. But I got a Vertice in 2XL (!), based on comparing the garment measurements on zPacks’ website with my older (delaminating) parkas.

The 2XL was a good fit for me, allowing for layering and fitting like a parka rather than a snug wind jacket.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

Just popping in to wonder if any of you have experience with the Marmot Bantamweight? I just ordered from REI Outlet over the Helium because it has pockets (I truly hate not having somewhere to stash my hands). It’s Pertex Shield 2.5 layer I believe. My old Helium was great and kept me bone dry in downpours, but perhaps this fabric doesn’t last very long?

Denys
    BPL Member

@stitch_down

Locale: Rocky Top, Tennessee

WOW!  2XL!!??   I wear a 43 “jacket” and expected to buy the Vertice in size L.  ZP says their L fits up to 44 inch.

Thanks for the info!!!!

.d

Anthony H
    BPL Member

@aharlow

Anyone have or tried antigravity gears rain coat and pants?  Not breathable like these jackets but the jacket does has great pit zips and is very packable and very light.  I do like the Zpack Vertice but dang its a bit pricey. Thanks

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

You do have to look around to find people who talk about using the silnylon rain gear, and most seem to like it fine. I have been using my Dancing Light Gear silnylon rain gear lately. It is in nearly new condition after 15 years of light use. I think I paid $60 for the anorak and pants.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

I have a Lightheart Gear silpoly rain jacket with pit zips. 6oz. I have never had luck with ‘breathable’ rain gear. This one packs up very small-size of large orange and has worked for me.

Anthony H
    BPL Member

@aharlow

Thanks for the input Brad!  I have the antigravity gear rain jacket and pants which I believe is very similar to the lightheart rain gear.  I agree it’s very light and packable and I carry it for pop up storms and moderated rain. I was looking for something more storm worthy for longer days of wet weather and was breathable while still being light and packable.  I do love the antigravity gear rain pants and jacket though for lighter use.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Both my size Large GTX PasLite parka and my size X Large eVent parka weight one pound. Good parkas but still “heavy” by UL and SUL standards.

So I’m still looking for a nice 9  to 10 oz. WPB parka with a good hood, maybe even helmet compatible.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

The Frog Toggs is good for a cheap rain jacket. But, not for use in heavy brush. It doesn’t take much to tear it. After trying numerous rain jackets over the years and then moving to UL, I’m now of the buy-once-cry-once bandwagon. If you hike in the East or NW, a worthy rain jacket is worth it’s 6 ounce weight in gold. I settled on a Montbell much in part due to a good hood design. A rain jacket without a brim is a no go. Living in N GA and the southeast in general, a worthy rain jacket is Required. I’ve done enough hiking in the Cascades and Olympia to encounter the same issues: hours of rain require a good hood and ventilation. Period. Price doesn’t matter if you are miserable. Been there, done that , not going back. A $200 investment whether Visp, Versalite or whatnot pays for itself many times over when you hike in all day rain environments. If you hike in the SW or Sierra, just grab a Frog Togg for occasional showers.

Denys
    BPL Member

@stitch_down

RE: Montbell Versalite.  Is the zipper pull tab for the men’s model on the left?

Thanks!

.d

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have a Lightheart Gear silnylon rain jacket. It has huge pitzips. Almost makes it into a poncho. I have not had any luck with rain to give it a good test, but I have worn it as a wind jacket and in cold weather I haven’t even needed to open the pitzips. It’s an affordable option. Mine is blinding bright orange. No way will I be mistaken for a deer and I can use it to signal for help.

Steve H
    BPL Member

@doughslap

RE: Montbell, zipper pull is on the left.  Also they run small.  I have an XL, they don’t have a XXL, and I  can barley put it on over a base layer and 100 weight fleece 1/4 zip, forget putting it over a puffy jacket. For reference I am 6′ 4″ and 210.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Philip over at “Section Hiker” LOVES the “new” version of Montbell’s Versalite.  Check out his review.  I’m considering it for double duty rain shell/wind shell.

Denys
    BPL Member

@stitch_down

Thank-you, Steve H !!

Tom Osborne
    Spectator

@insptgo

I just got the M Versalite Jacketand  pants replacing my Patagonia M10 shell and my Houdini with the same idea of using jacket for wind and rain. Not sure about pants although they are light enough for wind as well.Have a rain skirt.Will be doing the Oregon and Washington PCT trail this summer.

T

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Anyone own a frogtoggs  ultra light ?  And, if so, weight ?  Can’t seem to find on their website…

and..any commentary would b appreciated

thanks

Scott

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools