Topic

Which tent? — Here is a big big list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which tent? — Here is a big big list

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

I was trying to decide on a new tent. It seems like I spent hours clicking around the web just to compare things and narrow it down to which ones met my needs.

When I’m not backpacking I’m happiest writing computer code.

As a result I have the start of a project that I would like to share with the community.  I would love your feedback as to what I missed and what I got wrong.  (Especially from the gear makers themselves)

Its here:

http://www.tenttopia.com/

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Wow, this will be fantastic once complete, even to just have a quick way to compare weights for a few tents on the fly (PUN!). Nice work!

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Yeah, very cool!

Suggestions to consider:

• Include binary yes/no for netting for each tent/tarp
    • Include binary yes/no for freestanding

Generality comes at the cost of complexity, but you might consider stating whether or not the weight of guy lines, stakes, or stuff sacks are included.

You have the Hexamid Solo listed at 15.4 oz, but the version I care about (sans netting) weighs about 6.31 oz (well, mine does).

Pretty neat tool, particularly to give one a sense of what tarps/tents they ought to look into closer for detailed comparison!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools