Topic

Which Starlyte Stove?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which Starlyte Stove?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joe Hall
    BPL Member

@xjoehallx

I recently learned about the Zelph StarLyte stove and was interested in trying one out with my Caldera Cone setup. Sounds like there better performing than the stove that comes from Trail Designs.

Anyways, it seems like there are a few StarLyte options. I use a Caldera Cone with a 2qt Open Country pot. All the cooking I do is for two people. We usually boil 3-4 cups of water and hope t0 simmer for a few minutes after the boil (ideally). What stove is right for me?

Thanks!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I would use the original with that size pot to boil water faster and for fuel efficiency the modified, here is a thread from several years ago with much discussion and different peoples videos including BPL member Dan Yeruski the maker of the Starlyte stove CALDERA CONE AND STARLYTE STOVE .

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

For the 2 qt. pot I suggest the larger XL3. In the past the original size was being over filled to boil the larger volumes of water causing the burner to overflow and be engulfed in flames which caused the seam to become loose.
    Starlyte XL3

Dimensions:

3″ Diameter at the lid

1-3/8″ in height

Weight including lid: 0.9 ounce (25/26 grams)

Fuel holding capacity is 3 fluid ounces in suspension. Will not spill out if accidentally knocked over. Very favorable feature in areas of “fire bans”

Body is made of food grade aluminum and has stainless steel mesh screen over the ceramic absorbing material. Has copper wick in center for easy ignition in extreme cold weather.

Works well in conjunction with Trail Designs Caldera cones of 900ml and larger.

Comes with tight fitting plastic lid that prevents vaporization of left over fuel. No need to empty unused fuel after boiling your water, just blow out the burner, let cool and then cover with lid. Lid should NOT be used to snuff out burner. Caution, Burner gets HOT

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-xl3.php

photo shows size comparison to original Starlyte burner

</div>

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

When you settle on the right one they are a great little stove. We like ours a LOT : )

Below is my answer to simmering. It is made of aluminum flashing and weighs in at 2 grams. Cooks my Annies pasta meals to perfection.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Nice design jimmy b. What is the diameter of opening?

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Thanks Dan, the hole is .90 inches. No real science here, just looked like a good size and it worked great. I know that might drive some here nuts : )

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Here is one that has the ability to simmer a various outputs. The slide simmer top is used to snuff out flame when required.

Features:
    Sturdy steel &copper body
    Adjustable simmering cover pivots
    Stainless steel wire mesh prevents wicking material from falling out
    Spill-proof
    Flame can be blown out
    Wicking material pulls the fuel upwards for a more efficient burn as compared to carbon felt and pink fiberglass insulation that just absorb the fuel
    Great for use with pots 900ml or larger
    Note: Requires a separate pot support
    Dimensions: 2 3/4″ (68mm) diameter x 1 3/4″ (45mm) tall

Weight: 1.7oz (49g)

Capacity: 3oz (88.7ml)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools