Topic

Which pad attachment system for quilts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which pad attachment system for quilts?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I was wondering what people prefer for pad attachment systems? I have a Katabatic quilt, which I like okay, but the proprietary attachment system always seems a bit fiddly to me. I haven’t used Enlightened Equipment yet, but it seems like their system may be a bit more user friendly. Has anyone used both systems and have thoughts on which way is better? If Enlightened Equipment is any better, has anyone had experience retrofitting a Katabatic quilt with that style of straps?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

My preference is not to use the attachment systems at all. I’ve tried Nunatak (years ago, not what they use now), EE and Katabatic, and prefer no attachment to any of those.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I’ve been saying it for years but aint nobody listening.

Three pieces of adhesive back velcro.

hook side is around 30”. Two pieces of loop side about 15”.

Adhere the two short pieces about shoulder height on the bottom of your pads. When the velcro side is up (pads are upside down) put the long piece so it holds the two pads close together.

Do this at shoulder level and again at hip level (6 pieces of velcro total) an your pads will stay tiiiight together.

It weighs less than a bannana. It takes less time to set up than it takes to blow up your pad. You can overcome the slight bulge in tapered neoairs. You can slightly deflate your pads, get them really close and blow them taught again and there will be no gap at all.

The only weird part is on the two long pieces- the backs are adhesive and so you gotta like rub somethhing on it to waste all the sticky. I used dirt. 🤷🏻‍♂️

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I am a bit of an active sleeper, so no quilt attachment to the pad wouldn’t work well for me below 40 degrees or so. I don’t use anything if it’s above 40 or so, but below that temperature, I get too many drafts when I change position to be comfy. The Katabatic system works decent most of the time. It’s just a bit of a pain to tie the two cords around my sleeping pad and mess with the fiddly little clips every night. Also, sorry if there was misunderstanding with the topic, but I am talking about how to attach a quilt to a sleeping pad, not how to attach two pads together.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Certainly not trying to talk you into anything, but I’m also a very active sleeper. Toss and turn a lot. I find that as long as I grab the opposite corner of the top of the quilt from the direction I want to turn, and then turn belly down from one side to the other, I don’t get drafts and the quilt stays pretty snug around me. FWIW. Would love to give you some input on the attachment systems but haven’t used one in years.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

After looking at both attachment systems online, it seems like you could tie a short piece of cord to the end of an EE strap, with a knot on the open end, and use that with a Katabatic quilt.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I am with Doug on this one. Just leave them at home. They’re not really needed.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Aww man it took me forever to type that out. I got to start reading posts better.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I’m relatively happy with the EE system, but would like to try the Katabatic method on my HG quilt.  I thought I could find DYI instructions, but no luck yet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools