Topic

Which One Person Shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which One Person Shelter

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

Son is going off to college so am looking at one person shelters: DCF, ultralight, mid, non freestanding, strong in wind and snow. MLD Solomid, X-Mid, Aeon, something else? All suggestions welcome.

Perry H
    BPL Member

@hphock

Locale: Midwest

Follow

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Notch Li. Done and done.

wait: snow? How much snow? are you looking for a four season tent?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

How about a Yama Mountain Gear Cirriform Min? Front and side entry. Excellent craftsmanship. It doesn’t slope down at the ends like a traditional single pole mid. The lack of a built in interior allows you to go with a bug innernet, splash/bug bivy, no inner. It pitches easily and you can leave it open on the front or side.

I like a modular shelters because it allows me to gear up differently for different trips. Also, I like the simplicity of sleeping in a splash bivy under a tree when the weather permits.

I think TT’s ProTrail is a nice choice too. I haven’t been in one but I liked my Contrail with it’s really wide bathtub.

The Notch is really nice too if you don’t mind the relatively long packed length (because of the struts). This is probably my favorite 1P tent I have ever used but I didn’t like how it fit inside a small frameless pack.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

MLD Solomid XL

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Might need to know height of you and height of sleeping gear…pad plus bag loft?

Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

6 feet even; loftiest bag is a Feathered Friends Peregrine EX -25F mummy (long) with a 9.5 inch loft on a Neoair XTherm (regular) with a 2.5 inch height.

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

Locale: SF Bay Area, East Bay

Agree with the Solomid XL.  I find the Pro Sil a bit too transparent at times for my hiking locale and site selection is important.  There are many times when any given shelter is for shade more so than weather protection.  If Mr Bell ever jumps on the SilPoly wagon, I’d buy five to hand out at Xmas.  I have slightly modified a Lan Shan 1P inner that marries quite well.  Good luck with the search.  Pic below.  Pay no mind to the yard.  sigh.  We have no water.

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

Good to hear. I was leaning towards the Solomid XL. If I go for the DCF outer, would you pair it with a DCF inner or a Silnylon inner? If so, why?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Atif,
    Both the DCF and silnylon are waterproof, and will not breathe. So would not use them for an inner tent.  Although I’ve been looking at breathable fabrics with some water resistance.  RBTR has a couple, but they’ve been out of stock for some time.  And the fabrics that are fully waterproof/breathable (WPB) may be OK for garments, but not allow water vapor to pass through without considerable pressure.  A lot of the ones looked at had decent durable water repellent treatments (DWR), but almost no water resistance.  When folded into a pouch and filled with water, and slight pressure was applied, it just came gushing out and thoroughly soaked the fabric.  Which is not what I want for an inner canopy.  So continue to look.  There is a fabric used by Locus Gear that purports to use both DCF and eVent, and be very light, but it is not available in a tarp.  There was a thread on BPL  looking for this fabric; however no responses were posted.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Atif K – I prefer Silnylon for the inner net floor as it’s not only cheaper, but it’s more abrasion resistant and puncture resistant than DCF, both of which are important for floors.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I have a TT Protrail Li and really like it a lot. Things I like: super light, easy set up, only takes 4 stakes, large vestibule for pack storage, easy entry for a front entry shelter due to the tall front, lots of room inside, good ventilation. My other favorite one person shelter is a MLD Grace Duo in DCF paired with a bivy or MLDs Bug Bivy 2. I’m always torn between which one to take.

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

It’s a disease.  Can’t stop once started.  Was just out in the yard pitching a couple then weighing a few of my different options.  Complete kits all coming in around the same weight(s) when said and done. Xmid 1P, Solomid XL with Lan Shan inner, BPWD Min 1 Full Slope side entry paired with any of three different tarps.  Plus on occasion, using the Lan Shan 1 inner with a flat tarp.  And I just ordered a Mid Duo from Liteway.  I belong to the “you ain’t right” club.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools