Topic

Which of my packs(Ohm;Pa'lante) for WRHR

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which of my packs(Ohm;Pa'lante) for WRHR

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Matt Smith
    BPL Member

@mt-smithers

Locale: PNW

Hey everyone, I started a little planning for a solo summer trip in the Winds!

This trip will take place in mid-late August.  Probably 5-6 days on Alan Dixons variation

I essentially know what gear I would be taking, with a few last minute reconsiderations (micro spikes, active mid layer, battery pack)

My baseweight in Pa’lante, including Sony a6300, would be about 8.5 pounds. Add spikes and batery pack 9.5….switch to ohm 10.5!

I used the Pa’lante last summer on a 4 day loop involving  parts of the SHR.  No bear can, as I was in John Muir wilderness, and carried similar gear that I plan to use.  Loved that pack! It did feel close to as heavy as I’d like on day 1 though. Also used the Pa’lante on one of Skurkas WRHR loops (3 days), and several other 3 day trips.

My main question is…With 2 extra days of food, or almost 5 pounds for this hungry guy, would the Ohm potentially carry better? Almost more importantly, how do you think they’d compare once the Pa’lante is at a comfortable weight? Wondering if off trail and the terrain add to the consideration of what pack to carry, not just my total pack weight. Total weight on a 6 day trip for me would be around 25 pounds.

Also I may be able to do more miles on the high route than I’m anticipating and 4-5 days may be a more realistic itinerary.

I know this was a long post, hope my questions are clear and can’t wait to hear some feedback!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I don’t have extensive experience with either pack (I sent my Palante V2 back and I’ve worn my son’s Ohm 2.0 for a couple miles) but I’d rather use the Ohm at 25#.

Matt Smith
    BPL Member

@mt-smithers

Locale: PNW

Matthew K, what made you send the V2 back? You use a Kumo from what I remember in some other posts. I’d imagine they’re very similar and no need for both.

heavy loads aside I wonder if anyone has preference for frame vs frameless or having a hip belt on off trail use. Granted there’s no difficult scrambling on this route.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The fit on the V2 was not for me.

My son has inherited my Kumo. I prefer my ULA CDT these days. I also picked up an older Prophet which I like quite a bit. I don’t know which one I will use as my main pack next summer…

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I used the Prophet with Klymit frame on the WRHR; all-up weight of 19lbs. It carried well.

My companion used a frameless Exodus at 23lbs all up.

I had an original Ohm and thought it carried really well; if in doubt…..use the pack you like. You have plenty of time to do a shakedown trip at maximum weight?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I own the Ohm 2.0 and MLD Burn sans hip belt.   Never owned or seen the Palante.

I prefer my Burn for any trips where my total pack weight is at or under 20lbs as I tolerate that well on my shoulders.   I’ve carried over 25lbs in it but I had some lingering pain for about a week afterwards near my C7 that felt like a pinched nerve

I used to have a very high opinion of the Ohm which has diminished over time.   I found that the waist belt straps kept slipping and needed to be readjusted multiple times per day while wearing it.   The frame hoop at the top keeps popping out and needs to be put back in.   I’ve shown the issue to a couple other BPLers as the problem persisted and it wasn’t immediately obvious to any of us what the issue was and why they kept happening.

The Burn and similar packs provide simplicity and fewer points of failure, which is important to me.

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

I’ve done trips in that region with a light pack (gg kumo) and a heavier pack (gg silverback). For that long of a trip, I think you could go either way. I agree with Ian that the frameless shoulder carry packs are better under 20lbs. With camera gear and 6 days of food, I had my kumo around 27lbs and thats definitely pushing it, even though the Kumo’s wide straps do a great job with the weight. I find the silverback generally more comfortable, because of its excellent frame system, so these days, unless I’m looking for a agile carry, I just take that.

Have fun! The winds are amazing. You probably won’t need spikes unless you plan on some glacier travel.

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

I used my MLD Burn on this same trip and at the same time this year. I had 6 days of food in it with a 5.5lb base weight. I would say you should bring the ULA.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I did the WRHR this year with an Arc Haul.

I would take spikes. We used them on Twins Glacier, but it could have been done without, but there was a 200 yard section of blue ice on Knifepoint Glacier that I wouldn’t have done without spikes.  It was just steep enough where I would have been uncomfortable.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools