Topic

Which down anorak: GFG or Borah?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which down anorak: GFG or Borah?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Hi all, looking to get a super-UL down anorak, and I’m eyeing the Goosefeet Gear and the Borah. Looking for about 3 oz fill weight and under 7oz total weight. Both choices look great, and I have other products from each company that are well made and spec out nicely, so I figure I can’t really go wrong either way but interested in your input. Thanks.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

I am about to have both a vest and jacket shipped from Borah. I have been using a Uniqlo jacket for a while but started to get a wee bit nippy around 4-5 C “camp choring”. The Borah jacket is far ( ! ) lighter and with markedly higher fill rating! I am fairly sure, wearing just the jacket, based on the Uniqlo benchmark for me, to get to just above or around,  0-2 C and be comfy with a thin fleece and shirt beanie etc. I will only wear the jacket at rest, purely purchased as a stationary warmth layer. Unless otherwise needed.

With the vest it is even more perfect, two layers and the chance for much variation, that weigh very little and pack very small.

For what it’s worth, I worked out the circumstances I wanted the jacket to cope comfortably with (camp choring) and had a standard to compare to then went from there. All nothing new to you I’m sure. Couldn’t get a ‘roo pocket tho’ (not adding them at this time) but the sleeves will cover most of my slightly shorter than normal arms.  Oh, and John there has been excellent to deal with thus far. Hoping delivery to Australia won’t take overly long, tho’ my American cousins, your postal service can be very slow in my experience.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Couldn’t get a ‘roo pocket tho’ (not adding them at this time)

I didn’t realize that isn’t an option. That might be the tie-breaker right there…

Hope your package arrives soon, sounds sweet.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I have the Borah vest and have been happy with it.  I use it mostly over my light down jacket in cooler weather.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@commonloon

I would highly recommend the GFG. I have one and unlike some other cottage clothing I own (not Borah), it actually fits. I sent Ben @GFG my measurements, worked with him to get it right and it came out spot on. The loft is also really great in comparison to another cottage down piece I own.

Haiku
    BPL Member

@theworldwidewebster

I have a GFG, it has 4 oz down and weighs in at exactly 7 oz for women’s S/M that comes to hip.  Just finished my 2nd thru with it and couldn’t be happier, I get cold a lot.  One of my favorite pieces of gear.  It came quickly after ordering too tho I was out of the country at the time and it didn’t matter.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Thanks all for the feedback. I know they’re both fine jackets, I decided to pull the trigger on the GFG because I didn’t realize that I can’t get the Borah with hand-warmer pockets (thanks Graham for that tidbit). I’m getting 3oz of 950fp, which won’t be as warm as 4oz but will beat the heck out of the 2oz / 850fp I have now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools