Topic

Whatever Happened to Polartec NeoShell?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Whatever Happened to Polartec NeoShell?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Three years ago I was looking at Neoshell parkas and saw multiple offerings from REI, Rabb, LLBean, etc. Now except for Montane, NeoShell seems to be disappearing.

Did the fabric not perform?  Or did the Gore Company use its marketing coop dollars to “encourage” its customers to stick with GoreTex? (Or is the case of boots and shoes, motivate manufacturers to implement materials like GoreTex that users probably do not really need.)

Marketing coop promotions are where a large vendor, Intel for example, will promise %X Million dollars per year in advertising and other spiffs to a customer like Dell or HP when they buy Intel instead of AMD.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

Good question.  The CFM and HH numbers on Neoshell always seemed good (relatively speaking to the alternatives). Other than Westcomb we have seen little in terms of product options for hiking.  If you look at bicycling wear, you can find some stuff though. I picked up a Sugoi Neoshell biking jacket that is lightweight, but no hood. I hike with a umbrella and hat, so not a problem.

Was able to find it on closeout.  So far happy with it.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

There really never were any good UL Neo-Shell jackets so I never tried it, but my guess is to a large degree, Gore pushed it out of the market similar to eVent. I don’t think Gore will let any of the companies that sell their products use any other product such as eVent or Neoshell. For Neoshell to be successful they need companies to make jackets using their products. The only big name companies that I can think of off hand that aren’t tied to Gore are Mountain Hardwear, Rab, and Westcomb (and calling Westcomb big name is probably pushing it).

Of course I do think Gore upped it’s game and put out some better products since eVent and Neoshell came out. The new Gore Tex Pro, Gore Tex Active, and Gore Tex Shake Dry are all better products than the previous Gore Tex iterations that we have gotten for the past 30+ years.

Tim H
    BPL Member

@baldknobber2

I snagged a Brooks-Range Neoshell parka on eBay a couple of years ago, can’t remember the model name, but other than a quirky front waterproof zipper it’s an outstanding piece of kit. Very breathable, stretchy fabric, and solid DWR. I only have to use the pit zips when hiking uphill in warmish temps.

I’ll be disappointed if I won’t be able to find an equivalent Neoshell replacement.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Brad: excellent points. One has to ask though whether Gore would have kept the new product concepts in the lab and not have brought them to market but for the threat of competition from eVent and NeoShell. Competition breeds innovation be in in the field of information technology or (socalled) water proof breathable fabrics. I checked the Rabb site:  Search results for: ‘Neoshell’
    Sorry, there are no products matching the selection.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I had one of the RAB neoshell jackets. It was a nice jacket, but very heavy.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

No, my guess is that the new Gore Tex Pro or Active wouldn’t have seen the market without eVent or NeoShell, nor do I think Shake Dry would exist if it wasn’t for Columbia releasing Outdry EX. Competition is a good thing, so I hope eVent, NeoShell and Outdry EX keep pushing the Gore to improve. I’m not sure what will happen with NeoShell, but I worry about eVent with all of GE’s financial troubles.

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

Neoshell i’m convinced delaminates way too quickly. I’m on my 3rd Westcomb Shift LT. The first delaminated after a season of reasonable use, mainly skiing. RMA, and I was told to wash more often. To me that meant every 5th-7th use. Delaminated again at the same beardline spot! RMA and now I almost wash it like it’s a cotton shirt.

Bacteria in body oil will feed on that membrane! That’s why all these non pu coated skin side fabrics like eVent scream at you to “Wash me often.”

I really love the thing though. It’s breathable as hell and the cut is great.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Well, actually, the patent for Gore Shakedry was filed 2 years before that of Outdry Extreme. And that of GTX Pro was filed in 2010 while NeoShell was only released to the public in 2013.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

So am I wrong and the release of GTX Shake Dry and GTX Pro just happened to be when Outdry EX or Neoshell entered the market or was GTX just holding on to things due to a lack of competition in the marketplace?

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Brad.

I do not know the facts but I think the timing you outlined is very likely.

A company files for patent as soon as it thinks it has defensible IP. Productization takes more time and more spending.  A company with monopoly power like Gore with GoreTex brings out new products only when it has to. (I do need to point out that Gore has many other businesses in other markets that are much more competitive,)

Jackie Munro
    Spectator

@discoverytrekking

Neoshell is not only alive and well, we just purchased hundreds of yards to beef up our store supply. My company Discovery Trekking Outfitters manufactures quite a few product lines, and we now have to get Polartec Neoshell out of Shanghai as they no longer produce their technical fabrics in the USA. Although we purchase for our own needs, we do sell excess in our online fabric store. We are just introducing a Neoshell version of an equestrian riding skirt we make.  So Other than a few other brands that haven’t sought out a cheaper option, the people who are still using the many styles of Neoshell are the ones buying from us making their own gear and clothing.  I use both light Neoshell as well as the styles with hi loft pile backing. It is still twice as water repellent and breathable as Goretex.  Until I see something else better, we’ll continue to carry this.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

A neoshell jacket called the EMS Helix Anorak is/was my favorite backpacking coat.  It’s the only waterproof coat that I’ve ever hiked in where I can be comfortable backpacking with in the rain.  I think that this is because of the combination of more breathable material and the great design of pit zips on one side and a torsoflo type zipper (hem to bicep) like on outdoor research heavy jackets.  In this way, I can easily adjust based on heat build up and intensity of the rain.   It is only 12.8 oz. which to me is actually worth it for a jacket that performs so well.

https://www.ems.com/ems-mens-helix-anorak/1281922.html

If I could buy another one I would but they stopped making them like 3 years ago and I no longer consider mine so reliable since last year when I put 3 holes in it. The holes are “sealed” by gear aid  tenacious tape.  Last year, we hit a rock when I was on a drift boat and I fell back and cut the jacket in several places when it hit screws and sharp metal objects on the boat.

Nothing on the market seems comparable in terms of the great combination of reasonable weight, breathable main fabric, and mechanical venting.

Tim H
    BPL Member

@baldknobber2

Brooks Range Mountaineering has ‘em still, on closeout:

http://www.brooks-range.com/product-p/6027.htm

I’m going to pick another one up.

Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Wow I don’t need that Brooks Range jacket, but that’s a sweet coat at a killer price ($150 from $500).

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I tried to order but as I’m in Australia the website simply rejected it and automatically emptied my cart

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

BTW

Mill Yardage has plenty of NeoShell if you are into DIY/MYOG

Jackie Munro
    Spectator

@discoverytrekking

We ship to Australia, not sure if it was our site you were referring to. If you have a problem with our Discovery Trekking Outfitters site, send a message to me. We have quite a bit of Neoshell and are getting quite a few new styles next week.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Hi Jackie, it was the Brooks Range site that wouldn’t take my order. I will however now check your site out but I have pretty specific wants for Alaska and North Sudbury

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools