Topic

What to add to salmon fish packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition What to add to salmon fish packs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    tom lakner
    BPL Member

@lakneremu

Locale: midwest

Last summer all of my mayo packs turned to oil  while trekking along. I usually mix packets of salmon with mayo and some herbs to make a wrap for lunch.

I had a packet of some kinda dressing that i used instead and it was delish! Being older, I forgot to write down what it was. After muich searching i’ve given up and am now asking what others are using to mix with their fish ,if anything at all, for their wraps . I try to keep it light weight wise but food needs to be tasty also.

Anyone have advice?

Thanks!

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I buy the smoked trout packed in oil.  I find it very flavorful on its own and doesn’t need any add-ins.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Ranch dressing?

I’ve been known to carry a bit of cream cheese and a mini ziploc of capers for this purpose as well.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Lemon pepper, dill, and a relish packet or two.

I use those mayo packs all the time and haven’t had any turning into oil issues. Maybe you had a bad/old batch?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Any of many salad dressing packets that are shelf stable are great. Minimus carries tons!

tom lakner
    BPL Member

@lakneremu

Locale: midwest

I’ve used different brands at different times and all turn oily. I give up on them.I’m going to try some of the suggestions received here. Thanks to all who replied!

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Smoked salmon is the way to go!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara
    • Olive oil
    • Toasted sesame oil
    • Mustard
    • Furikake sprinkles
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I don’t care for salmon but foil packs of tuna are delightful with crushed Triscuits or sunflower seeds and a little extra olive oil.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Fast food restaurant “honey mustard” dipping sauce.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Had to introduce some Australian thru-hikers to Chipotle-Mango salmon packs (they call them “sachets”) last year.  They were amazed, but with packaged foods, anything is possible in America.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools