Topic

What “small/cottage” brand dehydrated meal companies do you like?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What “small/cottage” brand dehydrated meal companies do you like?

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

None of them.  Buy ingredients from local supermarkets and package my own, the one exception being freeze dried meats mail ordered in #10 cans.  Use sauces sold in the market, and measure to have just enough food to take one cup of water.  But put sauce mix in a smaller bag inside the large one so that the more solid stuff can be boiled soft before the sauce powder is thrown in to simmer.  Use a bag sealer so the package is just large enough to hold the mix.  Have found this reduces both food volume and weight, and is much more tasty, as there is plenty of time at home to try ingredients and condiments before packaging them.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^^^

PeakReFuels

I hope their cooking is better than their math –”

It must be that new fangled math :)

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I tried pack-it gourmet.

I cant cant say i found their meals easy to prepare, or particularly good.  Include ingredients that need a more than just soaking to rehydrate….need actually cooking pasta,  things with ingredients like dried whole kernel corn, etc.

Then too many ingredients, tried to make “fancy” food , which i found very unnappetizing on trail.

Simple dehyrated canned food from store is easier to prepare,  better. Imo. And fraction of price.

If its not freeze dried for ez prep….whats the point of $7?

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Evergreen Adventure Foods

I just tried all three options from these guys on Saturday, and they are amazing!  Full of flavor and great ingredients!

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

HARVEST FOODWORKS

Frankville, Ontario
    K0E 1H0 Canada

https://www.harvestfoodworks.com/home-page/

Great write up on all meals.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I have never had anything by them but there is TRAILTOPI A .

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools