Topic

What Pack for 16yr old boy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What Pack for 16yr old boy?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

I’ve talk to my son into doing a 15 day backpacking trip with me. He is now 16yrs soon to be 17 and used to carry a ULA when he was 12yrs old.  He hasn’t been backpacking for a couple of years. In the past he has carried very little weight when he was younger… i’ve always kept it around 10% of his weight or less.  Now that he is stronger and in great shape he can carry more weight I’d like to buy him a pack that is very comfortable so he can do that.  I currently carry a hyperlight 3400 and was going to purchase the same for him but wanted to see if anyone can recommend another pack before choose this one for him.  Im looking for some thing that is really comfortable for him most likely he will be carrying more than me this time.  We will each have a bear can and 10 days worth of food(he eats a lot)…so I will need the space.  I will keep his weight as light as possible but not comprising safety.
    Any suggestions on a comfortable lightweight pack would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

When I was investing in a new pack for my then 11 year old, I decided that I wanted a pack that would last a few years, so I wanted something with an adjustable frame. That way if he has a growth spurt, the pack would not become obsolete. From memory this is where I ended up:

1–Least expensive would be an old external frame about 3.5 to 4 lbs.

2–Lightest adjustable in current production was the Zpacks Arc Haul.

3–Six Moon Designs has some current production adjustable packs in the 3 lbs range. They used to have other vintage much lighter options but they aren’t very easy to find.

4–Adjustable load hauler just over three pounds from Seek Outside.

In the end, the finalists were Arc Haul and SO because the packs could also be used by mom or dad after he outgrew the pack… In the end, I didn’t feel right giving him a pack heavier than ours, so we got him the Zpacks in size small. He is quite happy with it. It also can be adjusted to fit my wife and my 18.5″ torso.

Good luck!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

THE SIXMOON DESIGNS SWIFT X  is 2lb 40z and has an adjustable torso length , it was 30% off on cyber Monday to bad you didn’t need one in November , the version with the running vest style straps is very comfortable,  it is a total of 49L( I don’t know if that is enough volume for what you are looking for though.)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I prefer frameless packs but I don’t recommend them for most people just starting out.  I recommend ULA due to their quality and customer service.  I bought Ohm 2.0s for my daughter and myself.  I’d get the Circuit if I had to do it again.

Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

Thanks Ian…I think I mentioned he had the ULA when her was younger and it was perfect for the JMT.  I’m looking for something a little more comfortable since I will increase his weight substantially from when he was 11yrs old.  He is almost 17 now.

Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

Thank you @annapurna.  I will check out that particular pack for him.  It needs to hold a full size bear can inside

Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

Thank you @iago

These are good choices and I like that they have a frame which will be easier on him.  When he was 12 years old the ULA pack was perfect for him.  I’d like it to be a little bit more comfortable given I will be increasing his weight substantially.  Also, the bear canned needs to fit inside the pack…ARC haul might be too small volume wise for the bear can but I will check it out.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Load hauler, I have heard great things about Seek Outside and also the Exped Lightning (2.5 lbs +/-). I have no personal experience with either.

My ULA are frameless.

Good luck!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I’ve used both the Exped Lightning and the Seek Outside. Both are good. The SO is “gooder” but more expensive.

The Exped only has one stay so careful packing improves load stability. I used to pack it with a 2 foor section of blue foam pad up against the back.

For a 10 day trip a heavier pack that fits is better by far (don’t ask how I know).

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Since there are no MYOG advocates here yet, I’ll chime in 😁. I ordered the Stitchback Gear TH50 pattern. I scaled it down to 80%, to make it an approximate 25-30L pack rather than the 50L pack, so it fits a kid’s frame a little better. I was thinking about how I might accommodate a growing body  with it, but I think in the end, being a minimally framed pack or frameless, it will not be as big a deal. It will be like 15$ in materials so it will not be a big deal to just make another when they get older.

Andrew Srna
    BPL Member

@andy-s

Pam-

If interested I have a Hanchor Flint modular pack basically new. Framed pack with hipbelt, made of black xpac. Size medium torso 17 to 19 inch with small hipbelt fits me at 32 inch jean size waist. Includes water bottle holders. Id be more than happy to let your son have it for the cost of shipping it to you if interested pm me.

Thanks

Andy

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

“I think I mentioned he had the ULA when her was younger and it was perfect for the JMT.  I’m looking for something a little more comfortable since I will increase his weight substantially from when he was 11yrs old.  He is almost 17 now.”

You did but you didn’t mention which one; they offer several.  I found the Ohm to be comfortable but the frame was fiddly.  The circuit can carry 35 lbs and I hear fewer complaints about its frame.  Does he expect to carry more than that?  If so, I’d probably jump on the Seek Outside website at their offerings.  Best of luck

Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

Thank you so much @andy-s!  So nice if you to offer.  I’m going to check out the seek outside for my son.  I think I have enough time to order.  I’m hoping he will continue to backpack afterwards…we have been on some wonderful backpacking trips when he was younger.

Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

Thank you @discopants.  I will checkout the seek outside, it seems like a good option.  He had the ULA circuit Xsmall and it served him well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools