Topic

what pack am I describing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) what pack am I describing?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Hoping it might exist :)  I’m looking for a 30-ish liter pack in X-Pac fabric (water resistant, tough), top loader/roll top, few or no pockets (something relatively snag free), possibly aluminum or carbon stays???, decent hip belt and shoulder straps- don’t have to be overly beefy, but don’t want ultra thin either

thinking it should be in the 1-ish pound range

pack weight would most often be in the 15-20 lb range

thanks in advance

Mike

Chris H
    BPL Member

@chrishillery

The KS 30 with the hip belt and frame set options fits your needs pretty well. The layout of his site is convoluted, but he makes some nice packs from what I’ve read.

Edit: I just realised the KS 30 is only 23 litres without the added pockets. The larger KS 40 is 32 litres without the pockets, so it’s probably better suited.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Chris- thanks!  Looks like with a few options I could get exactly what I’m looking for.  His site is very convoluted; I think I’ll try an email to get a clearer picture if he can do what I want and cost.

Mike

Kona
    BPL Member

@kcsupertramp

Locale: San Diego

You can’t go wrong with a Ks ultralight pack.I had  laurent make me A Ks 50 in  dyneema material and couldn’t be happier with the pack. I found Laurent very easy to work with and he always got back to me within a day or so.

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I’ll check both those options out; price tag on either outfit is a little more than I was hoping though

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

price tag on either outfit is a little more than I was hoping though.

“Buy once, cry once”   :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

well this is true :)

Alex Willows
    BPL Member

@bigggbird

Locale: Tasmania

Sounds exactly like a SWD Superior 35. They’re very open to customisations too, and are great to work with. I’m very happy with my Long Haul 50L.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

anyone have any experience with Elemental Horizons?  they offer a 30-ish liter pack available in X-Pac w/ an optional frame sheet

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Mike, I have three Elemental Horizons packs. Matthew is great to work with and will do customizations.

But I don’t think any of his packs come in at a pound – closer to 2?.

Still, most definitely my favorite pack. Well made, carry great, etc. If you find yourself around Seattle would be happy to show you mine, or even mail one to you (as long as you pay shipping both ways) to check out before purchasing.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Doug- he has the Aduro SL (33 liters) listed at 20-ish oz- close enough :)

Mike

Andrew Srna
    BPL Member

@andy-s

Perfectly happy with my superior wilderness designs pack, better than id hoped for. I went with a vx 42 bottom and vx 21 body, solid front pocket, weighs a little more, but durable.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I always like threads where the OP comes back and says what he ended doing/getting/going; so……

I ended up chatting with Matthew at Elemental Horizons and told what I had in mind. The Aduro was the pack that best fit what I was looking for- something streamlined, light and 30-ish liters. He has the X Pac VX 21 and that’s what I went with. He also suggested for a lot of off trail/rugged country to go with the 400d ripstop for bottle pockets, so I did. I wanted the option of a lightweight frame and he had just finished designing/producing one.

The front of the pack comes with shockcord lashing, but wanted something beefier for snowshoes or skis- he came up with a two strap setup that should work nicely (removable as well).

With everything on the pack comes to just under 30 ounces. The X PAC adds 3 ounces to their base 20 ounce pack. The straps are a little over an ounce and the removable frame 5.5 ounces.

The pack is very streamlined and the workmanship top notch. It has the makings for a really nice, small pack for rougher country :)

CARLOS C.
    BPL Member

@lamboy

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Got any pictures Mike? We don’t often get to see many of the smaller vendor products.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Carlos here’s a few :)

rear

http://i.imgur.com/NdYQzsj.jpg
    side w/ front pocket, side pockets and compression

http://i.imgur.com/QdoVR5r.jpg

clamshell opening and slot for the frame

http://i.imgur.com/92FbWbo.jpg

front w/ lashing setup

View post on imgur.com

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools