Topic

What length of guylines for MYOG flat tarp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear What length of guylines for MYOG flat tarp?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

I’m nearly finished with a flat tarp I’ve been working on and off for a couple of months. It’s 10 X 12.

What length guylines do you recommend for the following?

-Ridgline

-Mid Panel

-Sides

It will likely be pitched as an A frame most of the time but I also like lean to and half pyramid set ups too.

-Thanks!

Bill Giles
    BPL Member

@wgiles51

Locale: Central Illinois

I generally use a continuous rdgeline which may be as much as a 50 Ft, piece of 4mm accessory cord or as little as a 25 to 35 Ft. piece of Zing-It. The accessory cord doubles as a haul line or general purpose rope. If I’m pitching an A-frame using trekking poles, I often use pieces of braided nylon cord about 14 Ft. long, which I double and tie back to the ridge with a slippery half hitch. I will do the same thing for mid panel tieouts as well. My ground tieouts are about 3-1/2 Ft. long. In almost every case, I double them and tie them back to the tarp. The cord is small enough that it doesn’t weigh much and the knots are easier to reach. Another way is to attach short cords to the tieouts and carry loose cord of various lengths. Tie the loose cords to the tieouts with slippery sheet bends. The tieouts should be around a foot long and can be tied directly to stakes, if desired. Having the long cords loose allows you to change the tarp configuration without having to untie or move the tieouts. This also works pretty well when you are in a wooded area and want to rig a tarp as a fly.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Inadequate string is always a problem. The funny thing is, string weighs so very little for what it does.

Cheers

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I use 12ft ridgeline cords and 4 ft worth on the sides and corners.  I don’t have mid-panel points on my tarps so I can’t help you there. I tend to go a little longer than necessary just because it’s very, very little weight difference and having too short of a line is a pain.

Ryan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools