Topic

What is the Utility of a lightly synthetic-insulated Vest?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is the Utility of a lightly synthetic-insulated Vest?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

Hi forum,

I’ve noticed some seasoned UL hikers in pictures here wear some form or another of a synthetic insulated vest. I was looking at montbell’s thermwrap vest and it got me wondering about the utility of it. Many seem to be in the 6-10 oz range and are offered with stretch side panels. I’m sure it’s mostly personal preference but if anyone could be more specific regarding the following questions it would be awesome!

if you use a synthetic insulated vest, what article of cloths does it typically replace in your pack?

What are the advantages of a vest over that article of clothing and in what context, temp, or raininess of hiking is it advantageous to you?

Thanks for posting your answers! I apologize if this is a repeated forum.

Hanz

Hanz B
    BPL Member

FYI Here’s one answer from J Verber’s experience with synthetic vests for those interested in a response:

Roughly quoted: “Montbell Thermawrap Vest…When combined with a medium weight base, wind shirt and a warm hat keeps me adequately warm down to around 20F if I am moderately active, and good to 30F if I am sitting. Many people might want something warmer since the Thermawrap is somewhere between a 100-200wt fleece. I am not using the Thermawrap Vest anymore. After five years of use the Thermawrap lost enough loft that it needed to be replaced…. “

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

I was just trying on a Thermawrap a few weekend ago. So on my wishlist.

I might wear a synth puffy vest for warmth while moving. If you need that, which I do sometimes. I take a fleece vest on and off for winter day hikes. It could replace that in theory.

If you hike in a wet climate and want to take less insulation the margin of error of synth might make sense.

Personally I want a down vest + a thermawrap hooded for cooler trips.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I made something similar.  4.5 ounces – 2.5 oz/yd2 Apex.  Good in the 20s F if I’m exercising, down to 30 F if I’m camping.

Synthetic weighs half as much and is twice as warm as similar fleece

Synthetic tolerates wetness better.  There’s that video of Seals that dunk in an ice water pool, then put on synthetic and dry from body heat.  A synthetic vest could be a survival item.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

Is the one made this: http://thru-hiker.com/kits/minima_kit.php

i was thinking of making it with CF and and CF tape (to avoid sewing) do you think it’s possible?

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

I’m not sure if Jerry is referencing the thru-hiker Minima diy vest kit or not. However, I made one of those with primaloft and my vest weighs 5 ozs. Once I finished it, I wasn’t sure that I would use it much, given how light it is. Turns out that I use it all the time. I live in SC, which is a mild climate, but I use it once I get to camp and the evening chill start to set in as well as in the winter when I sleep for extra core warmth. It’s a good piece of gear.

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

I would probably use APEX instead of the PrimaLoft of the Minima. You would need a break in the Cuben to vent air.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

Yea I was concerned about the CF breathing  = 0

– anyone want to offer what item it typically replaces in your pack?

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

For me it’s a luxury item just saving a couple of ounces by replacing the fully sleeved hoodie, For instance during warmer seasons, or when going to destinations with coastal or consistent mild climes.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I glanced at that – that’s exactly what I did except I don’t do kits : )

I’ve used M50 before which would be good, except it’s more water resistant and less breathable.  For an internal layer you just want breathable.  RSBTR has something I used.  M50 would work too.

I’d choose Apex but Primaloft would be almost the same.  Maybe Apex needs less quilting and keeps it’s loft better.

What does it replace in my pack?  My fleece vest : )

I also have a down vest if it’s cold, WPB jacket, base layer

George F
    BPL Member

@gfraizer13

Locale: Wasatch

I had a near hypothermic experience on my thru hike. It was an all day cold rain. By the end of the day my base layers and rain gear were wet through and my core temp was fading. I still had my puffy,wm hooded flash, but if I put it on I would have had to stop and I was out of food and headed for resupply. I would have given anything for one more synthetic layer. After that I split my warmth. For a modest weight penalty I carry the Montbell UL coupled with their Thermawrap vest. Both together are decently warm and there is the flexibility of wearing one or the other or both depending on what I need.

Carie Pigeon
    BPL Member

@overmountaingear-2

I wear a homemade primaloft vest to replace my mid layer (which used to be a mid weight fleece).  Mine comes in at only 3 oz’s, of course, I’m only 5’1″, haha.  I LOVE it!  If it’s really cold I will also bring my WM down jacket.  Though, if I were to do it over I’d probably use climashield apex instead of primaloft for the vest.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi George

For those sorts of conditions you cannot beat a silnylon poncho, going over you and your pack. it keeps the rain off and keeps a warm fug inside. Your clothing may get damp from sweat condensing on the silnylon, but with your arms crossed over your chest inside the poncho – no worries. We do that in the snow when it rains (happens).

Tour du Mont Blanc in summer, France.
    cheers

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

In general, I’ve found zero utility for my vests. It seems like if I wear a vest either my arms/hands are freezing and my core warm or my arms are warm and my core is overheating and sweating profusely. I’ve found a lot more utility from having various fleece tops or synthetic/down jackets. I have a fairly large core/upper body though, especially compared to most distance athletes and thru-hikers so take my experience with a grain of salt.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

For what it’s worth, Ben from GooseFeetgear.com can make a very reasonably priced custom synthetic fill vest for a total weight of 4.5oz!!!  I actually just ordered one!  I plan to use it for wet weather stuff.     I’ll review it once I get a chance to try it out.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I agree with Eric.

I have a syn puffy vest and a fleece vest and I can’t seem to justify carrying those compared to the same thing with arm coverage, and often a hood. For me it is “too niche”….

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

you use it when active and moving in colder temps and/or technical terrain

in milder temps you can simply use it for quick stops

note that a fleece vest works just as well and is better when wet … but it doesnt have a build in wind resistant outer

for most folks a synth jacket will probably be better overall …. but a vest does dry faster (sleeves are the last thing to dry)

;)

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

Again, I think it depends on you location and season. Although, I’ve always worn vests. Even under my snow suit, while ice fishing when I lived in the Midwest. I think that it’s one of those things that if you ask for an opinion, you’ll get many that differ. If I could only take one or the other and I was in colder climate, I would probably take a jacket.

Nick B
    BPL Member

@bur

Locale: Kalifornia

I rarely wear long sleeves when active in 3 season conditions.  Just don’t care for it.  I find a light synthetic vest (i.e.- Montbell Thermawrap) to be a great active layer in cold/wet conditions.  I usually pair it with a down hoody like the Montbell Ex Light Anorak when stationary.  12.2 ounces for the pair; nice modularity, a bit of flood insurance.

FYI – I have a nice older Montbell Thermawrap vest for sale here. Only 5.6 ounces in a smallish men’s Large.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I have been using a North Face Thermoball vest in four ways: shoulder seasons to supplement a Montbell Exlight for extra camp warmth; active hiking where with the front zip you have instant variable warmth, much more than with a sleeved item; a warm layer for use with a poncho where I don’t need to worry about sleeves getting wet; and a slightly irrational hedging of bets by combining a synth with a down item. I also agree that for some 3-season use, it could suffice as the only insulating item, although I have not used it that way. I could probably switch to a down puffy with no real feature disadvantage, or get by with a lighter synth like the Montbell.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

Thanks everyone, many good things to think about.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I find a vest (fleece or syn) useful for very active endeavors- trail running, backcountry skiing/snowshoeing, etc; I find them less useful for hiking, backpacking where a hooded jacket (fleece or syn) at a small weight penalty makes more sense

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Another use I’m considering which may sound odd, is to use a vest to cover my bum while sleeping.  For some reason my bum/upper thighs get really cold.  I’ve been using my 5oz Borah gear down pants to solve that and they work great.  But I pretty much only wear them while sleeping.   I’m wondering if the vest could be unzipped and slid down like a skirt to add some insulation down there.  Hrm….

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Christopher

my bum/upper thighs get really cold.
    That is often a sign that your mat is not good enough. Too much heta loss from your hips.

Cheers

Hanz B
    BPL Member

Chris – How’s that vest doing you ordered? Are you finding good use for it? I’m still debating it.

hanz .

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools