Topic

What is the perfect shoulder strap setup?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear What is the perfect shoulder strap setup?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christian K
    BPL Member

@disciple3131

So I’m pondering another pack project (because, why not?) and wanted to start a discussion on shoulder straps for frameless, hipbelt-less, UL/SUL packs.

What is the perfect shoulder strap setup?

Two pockets? Five pockets? Detachable zippered pockets or sewn-in stretch pockets?

Share photos of your shoulder straps, or ones you really like, and why you think they work (or don’t!).

The vest strap idea intrigues me, but I don’t foresee myself doing any trail running. But, feel free to share your vest straps too!

I intend to make the pack beltless and am aiming for something much more simple and lighter than my last. I’m digging the MLD Hell Pack simplicity (body and stuff pockets… one side for wet gear, one side for a puffy).

Things I realistically would like access to:

• 0.7L or 1L water bottle
    • 1-2 snack bars
    • Phone (aka my camera) with hip clip (but I won’t have a hip belt… which is wear I usually attach it)
    • Sunglasses

Share your thoughts… and straps!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I like the feeling of a vest harness based on just a little bit of time carrying a Mountainsmith Zerk and an LRP.

The Zerk overlaps two stretchy pockets. Not a fan of that.

LRB places a larger pocket higher up the strap with a tiny pocket below. I liked the little pocket for small things you don’t want to lose.

Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I prefer more of a modular system and am not into this current trend of having stretchy pockets covering the entire bottom half of the straps.   Then again I also prefer packs with hip belts, so I don’t need shoulder strap pockets but I do like them for small items depending on my needs.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Totally agree modular is nice. I like Zimmer’s water bottle pocket, MLD’s old style zipper pocket and Justin’s UL phone pocket.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools