Topic

What hapened to the Monkey Pillow?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What hapened to the Monkey Pillow?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

There are several threads on the top page right now asking about pillows, which prompts a question of my own: what ever happened to the Monkey Pillow? And to Wallace?

I have one and it works great. This is the pillow case made by Wallace Hunter (aka SupaChef) under the company name HikeBikeDale. They used to sell through Etsy I believe, but they are no longer on Etsy and the last post on their Facebook page appears to be 2013. Their own website, HikeBikeDale.com, no longer exists.

For those who don’t know this is a large pillow case, simple design with a soft fleece-like on one side and UL fabric on the other, with two elastic straps to hold it onto your pad. Size large weighs about 2oz and is a huge 19×13″ flat.

I agree with all the complaints about what people typically stuff into pillow cases — inflatables your head bounces off, down puffy compresses too much and your head sinks the bottom, and going UL you rarely have “spare” clothes. But with the large volume of the Monkey Pillow I combine these elements and get the best of both worlds IMO — I put a FlexAir pillow in on bottom, inflated only about halfway, then stuff my down puffy in on top. The FlexAir gives enough lift and takes up enough of the pilow case’s volume that the down puffy is partially compressed, so the top down layer of the system gently supports my head instead of letting it sink in. No bouncing ball effect, no compression to nothing effect, and enough height for my side sleeping style to keep my neck aligned with my spine.

So anyone know what happened to them?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

He and his wife work full time and are just finishing their container house on their property in Texas, last I communicated with him he and his wife were talking about hiking the PCT. HERE is his blog ecodale but he hasn’t posted for a while.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Thanks Link. So no more Monkey Pillow? Too bad, it’s a good product.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools