Topic

What breed of dog should I get for backpacking and trail running?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion What breed of dog should I get for backpacking and trail running?

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

I’ve been bitten by a few dogs in the past; I figured it was because I wasn’t very fluent in Dog.  To the best of my knowledge I’ve never been bitten by a dog owner, but I do get very drunk at times, and I don’t always recall the events in question… especially if I don’t especially like the people that are involved.  In thinking of people that I don’t like, my sister is near the top of the list…but she also does rehab work with pit bulls, and as much as I dislike her, I have to give her credit for having some wonderful dogs.  Seems that there’s a lesson in there somewhere, but I can’t discern it for the life of me.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

There’s biting and there’s nipping. Neither are acceptable but they are different. Herding dogs in general are more nippers than biters….

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

If herding dog nips a person the owner needs to get a strong correction. Then the dog one. No excuse. Unless there is really something wrong with a dog (then they should be isolated from people or put down), a misbehaving dog is due to a lazy owner not taking the time to find out how to train the dog. The knowledge is out there.

In my dog training class there was a girl with a red healer. The dog did not respect the girl and during class it kept nipping her. The trainer then took the dog for a few passes back and forth, when the dog nipped her, she pulled it up into the air by the choke collar. After about 5 seconds she lowered the dog and said, “good girl”. No one was nipped for the rest of the six week class.

Josh B
    BPL Member

@jbalisteri

Locale: Western New York

I’m leaning towards the Australian Cattle Dog. Compact size for the tent, tireless, good in all weather including heat, courageous, naturally good off leash. Most importantly loves to hike.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

You aren’t going to get any arguments from me. I’m sold on the breed.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Just be very selective insofar as personality is concerned; spend enough time with the litters – plural – to see which dogs are showing a preference for you, and pick based on that quality.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am not making excuses for a herding dog that nips and agree that correction is needed but there is a difference between a biter and a nipper both in intent and consequences.

Brian H
    BPL Member

@reno1

My advice, and one that I’m familiar with is a border collie or golden retriever.  I’ve have/had multiples of both and never had one regret.  They go forever and will definitely not slow you down.  Dogs this size, 45-50’ish pounds can comfortably carry their own pack too.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  I’m sure you will make a good choice!

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

I’ve been around just as many snitty collies as pleasant ones…but I do have to admit that the one breed in which I think the paramount nature of individual disposition is closely approached by general characteristics is the golden retriever.  I’ve been around hundreds of those dogs, and the vast majority of them are big, silly, loyal, dopey sweethearts.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Finding a strictly serious backpacking dog can be very difficult.  It has to be able to haul 15-20 days of its own food in a dog pack—it has to love snow and cold and can tolerate hot summer temps—and in a perfect world it won’t run out of camp barking at new arrivals—and hardly ever bark period.

My old part-chow backpacking dog hated being inside my tent even at subzero temps—so that’s a plus.  He had the uncanny ability to dig a nest under the snow into dead leaves and curl up on -10F nights—not needing or wanting to be in my tent.  But when the trees started popping like gun shots in subzero temps he went a little dinkydau—

But he loved winter and loved Nature and loved wilderness—all you can ask from a companion—

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

My current backpacking dog???  No, my wife’s dog at home—

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

I had an ultralight version. he was so skinny he had to run around to get wet in a rain storm. He was not the type of dog to run off, just liked lying about nearby.

Here in his backpacking bed.

Bo in his bed

Here guarding his peanut butter

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools