Topic

What Are Your Favorite Cold Soaking Meals?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition What Are Your Favorite Cold Soaking Meals?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

I will be trying cold soaking and am curious about anyone’s tried and true meal recommendations.

Also, when I read about the crotch pot I initially thought it was a joke. Are folks having success with this?

Thanks,

Lowell

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Refried beans or red split lentils are what many seem to share. Everybody prob thought the crotch pot was a joke the first time they heard it ; ). I think it gets used but I have not heard much feedback. Van Peski is apparently still using it.

https://www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/destinations/north-america/utah-buckskin-gulch-ultralight-hiking-glen-van-peski/

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That’s all.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

The last couple of years I’ve done cold-soak for all of my lunches.  I love the Packit Gourmet meals:

• Many Beans Salad – 770 cal, 25g protein
    • Texas Mesquite Chicken Saled – 400 cal, 40g protein
    • Southwest Corn and Black Bean Salad – 530 cal, 21g protein
    • Trailside Bean & Cheese Burrito – 410 cal, 23g protein

What I really like about the cold soak is that they’re ready the instant we stop for lunch.  For the chicken salads I wait to mix the mayo in until I stop, but the water is in there from breakfast.  If it’s really hot outside (which I desperately try to avoid) I’ll put the cold soak package into my coozie to keep it cool.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Wow @ Todd! Does that end up tasting like a creamsicle?

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Wow @ Todd! Does that end up tasting like a creamsicle?

Never tried ’em together.  Maybe I should!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Tabouli.  Double the olive oil for more calories and calorie density.  Add the olive oil to the cracked wheat in advance so it acts like an absorbent, although an 8-ounce PEET #1 plastic water bottle makes a reliable, leak-proof container.  Rather then fresh diced tomatoes, I add dehydrated tomato flakes.

Add cold water an hour before lunch.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools