Topic

Trekking-pole tents: what about these affordable Aliexpress tents?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trekking-pole tents: what about these affordable Aliexpress tents?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Paiolo Montanel
    BPL Member

@paiolo

Hi all!

I’ve seen on http://www.aliexpress.com two producers of lightweight trekking pole tents, what do you think about them? Well, this is not XUL gear, but they seems not-so-bad affordable entry-level UL tents

3F UL Gear, double-wall single-pole tent (63$, 1 Kg)
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/P/32433885605.html
    x

3F UL Gear, single-wall single-pole tent (91$, 740gr)
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/P/32547985186.html
    x

Axemen single-pole tent (80$, 850 gr)
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/B/1686424224.html

Edit: An owner comment: “The fly touched the inner and I had problems in making it tight enough to try to prevent this.”; in a french UL forum I also found a comment about serious lack of foot space. I think I wouldn’t suggest buying this tent.
    x
    x

Axemen two-poles tent (76$, 900 gr)
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/P/32495727854.html
    x
    x

Paiolo Montanel
    BPL Member

@paiolo

…Any comments? Which of them seems the better in your opinion?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Some of them look like tents made for Western companies. I imagine the Chinese brands involved could be the back doors of the factories contracting to the West.

In theory they could be OK, but in practice you may find that short cuts have been taken in the construction. Very often the factory does not know enough about using tents to be able to forsee what the consequences will be. This can be anything from mild to extremely bad.

Only one way to find out.

Cheers

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

i actually really like the look of those!  and so cheap, it almost doesn’t matter……

well, until it does, but that’s besides the point.

Gator Paddler
    BPL Member

@gatorpaddler

Wow. These are tempting. It’s funny that for the 3F UL (740 g shelter), the site says “Quality — good enough! ”

If that’s true, then it might be worth $106.

Gator Paddler
    BPL Member

@gatorpaddler

Does anyone know if there will be additional import fees or tariffs to the US?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve ordered dozens of $2-$6 items, a few $20 things and one package of three items for $50 from Shanghai, Singapore and Hong Kong. Never any duty on it. Takes 1-3 weeks unless it takes longer.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

They look pretty nice to me. Will they fit in a Christmas stocking?

Graham Fong
    Spectator

@campergf23

Locale: Northern Ontario

I like the looks of the last one, might be worth a try.

Phil Cawley
    BPL Member

@philc

Hi, I had one of these, the dark coloured Axeman but never actually used it. Found it just wouldn’t “sit” right. The fly touched the inner and I had problems in making it tight enough to try to prevent this. Added extra webbing and shock cord to try to pull the pegs out (had to add a couple) but still couldn’t get it right! In the end I sold it (with the buyer fully aware of the issues) and bought another Henry Shires Tarptent.Needed a double but had I not the other one you’re looking at looks interesting. The tent I had was well made. Have had some good stuff from Ali best being a 25g gas burner. Fantastic. Phil.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

> The fly touched the inner and I had problems in making it tight enough to try to prevent this.

Well that wouldn’t be an issue with the 1.5 layer tent.

Paiolo Montanel
    BPL Member

@paiolo

I had one of these, the dark coloured Axeman but never actually used it. Found it just wouldn’t “sit” right. The fly touched the inner and I had problems in making it tight enough to try to prevent this.

On a double-wall trekking pole tent, putting the trekking pole on one side doesn’t seem a good idea, as it is prone to this type of problems. I also read on a french UL forum complaints about serious lack of foot space. After your comments I think I wouldn’t consider buying it.

The second (and newer) Axemen tent (the last orange one) seems to solve this problem putting the poles on the center of the tent, and keeping lot of space between the two walls: it surely seems a better-thought tent (and better wind-resistant)

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

Have you also seen these pyramid style tents from Luxe Outdoor? an established company

Michael Greenberg
    Spectator

@googan

Locale: (null)

what about the cascade mountain tech ones.  I picked up a pair for $40 shipped.  They have everything I’m looking for in trekking poles and the reviews have been excellent.  I don’t have 1st hand experience with them though.

Paiolo Montanel
    BPL Member

@paiolo

Have you also seen these pyramid style tents from Luxe Outdoor? an established company

I know them: they produced good quality tents, and they surely “inspired” the two double-wall, pyramid-style tents I’ve shown above. But aliexpress one are a lot cheaper and lighter (ok, probably also smaller ;-) ), so I think it is interesting to investigate about these new china brands…

what about the cascade mountain tech [trekking poles]

Hi Michael, this thread is more about trekking pole TENTS than about trekking POLES ;-)

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Paiolo Montanel
    BPL Member

@paiolo

:-) ;-) :-)  Yes, Hula Hoop is a famous equipment piece present in every hiker backpack!  :-D

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools