Topic

What a waste

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning What a waste

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

We’re just back from a rather impromptu trip to Death Valley and the Grand Canyon, and we were stunned by how many empty campsites we saw at the Grand Canyon.

When we made our reservation, there were only a few sites available…and when we checked later, even those were gone. And yet every night we were there, at least 30% of the campsites were empty. No cars, no RVs, no tents, no people.

What a waste. We know there were people looking for a site that were turned away because all the sites were booked. And yet the site next to us was never occupied in the four days were were there. Sure, there was a tag that said it was reserved for someone for the entire time. But they never showed up. And the campsite sat empty for all four days.

There has to be a better way to manage this.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

And yet the site next to us was never occupied in the four days were were there.

Nice for you, though.  :-)

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

My guess is that a lot of people-almost all–are coming from a long away away. flights get cancelled, the drive takes longer than expected. If the reservists show up a day late and the site has been taken, and they’ve paid for it…what then? What if the park gives away the site at 7 pm…and the reservists show up at 8? etc.

At Yosemite, the sites do not go empty. the system works pretty well. when the park says, full up–it is. they do open sites up for same day cancellations as I recall., at 5 pm. at Tuolumne. so you can show up and take that chance.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Yeah really. I would have been happy!!! No one else around.. at a campground!!

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I’m unsure how the reservations work in GC or DV, but when I reserved a campsite in Wawona for a group family camping week, I paid the entire reservation up front, and was informed to make sure to notify the campground if I was going to be late in arriving at my campsite, for the reason that my reservation would be forfeited if I didn’t let them know what was going on. It is a waste for someone to pay for a site and then not use it, but from the perspective of the park, it is not a big deal. The site was reserved, and paid for (in all likelihood), so the fact that another person/group could not use that site is not really something to be concerned about. If anything, it’s great that those people who paid for the site were generous enough to pay out of their own pocket to provide other campers with a little less population density in the campground!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Washington state parks give the site away noon the next day if you don’t show up

Some National Forest campgrounds say that if the site is paid for that’s all they care about.  Yeah, a waste.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

I’ve always canceled if plans change. Once when a holiday weekend fell through at the last minute I made sure to even call the park since I knew there would be someone that would be grateful to find a campsite and the automated system might be delayed in updating. To not cancel is just selfish. Stepping off soapbox now.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

From the Nat’l Parks Website (https://www.recreation.gov/rules-reservation-policies)

No-Shows
    Overnight and Day-Use Facilities: A no-show customer is one who does not arrive at a campground and does not cancel the reservation by check-out time on the day after the scheduled arrival date (or for day-use facilities, by check-in time the day of arrival). Staff will hold a campsite until check-out time on the day following the arrival date and will hold group day-use facilities until check-in time on the arrival date.
    No-shows are assessed $20.00 service fee and forfeit the first night’s recreation fee for a campsite or forfeit the entire day-use fee for a day-use facility.

Seems like the policy in place to maximize a site’s usefulness is in place, same as for Yosemite. Looks like the campground rangers were falling asleep on the job – or maybe there were no people waiting to get into a site?

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

Probably the campground host was limiting their rounds. I noticed that last year. Some places didn’t have their usual hosts.  The big thing is that waiting for autocancel potentially knocks people out needing not only that first night but most of the weekend. For the  parks around here that would mean having it unusable until 3 in the afternoon next day. The popular parks in this area are often full over the 4th, very busy Memorial day, divorced dads weekend and labor day. Even the first come first serve can fill up by noon.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Also note that this is the same system many agencies are using this summer for wilderness permits.  grrr.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I believe the wilderness permit system is a little better since they are more actively managed at the pertinent ranger stations.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I think the increasing emphasis on having to make reservations to get even basic campsites is forcing people to plan farther and farther ahead, and then those plans change and the penalty for NOT cancelling is not worth the effort.  People just don’t bother.  Yes, it’s rude and thoughtless.  But  as others have noted, it does cut down on the crowding.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Do they get refunds if they cancel? I can see not bothering if the whole fee is forfeit.

At Denali they used to restrict some of the site to large RVS only. Even if there were 20 vacant spots, they wouldn’t let smaller vehicles or tenters use these spots, even if it was already 11pm. There are some pretty silly public land mgmt policies.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools