Topic

WFR in the Northeast

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique WFR in the Northeast

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Technique-adjacent and skills related inquiry. I’d be grateful for a recommendation of a WFR or WEMT course on the east coast, preferably near NYC. In researching this, there’s a myriad of different companies offering courses (NOLS, Adirondack Wilderness Medicine, SOLO Schools) and it’s a bit difficult to know whether they are following the same curriculum etc. For example, one school’s WEMT course is shorter than a WFR course which is ‘backwards’ from the non-wilderness version of CFR and EMT courses.

If my memory serves me correctly, there were two competing organizations that developed curriculum (Wilderness Medicine Society and some other group). Not sure if one is “better” than the other.

If you’ve taken a course on the east coast and have a recommendation, please share. I want to do a little personal continuing education this summer in addition to taking kayaking lessons and this seems to be a good place to invest some time.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Bob,  i live on Long Island.. work in the city. Cant help you out with your question but curious what type of Kayaking do you do?

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

I’m the same Bob as on HF! I’m in Port Washington. Sea kayaking locally (with a couple of road trips to Cape Code and Maine)  for many years but took a looong hiatus when my kids were born. Just re-entered last summer. Waiting for a boat that can accept my long legs to materialize. Rumor has it there’s one in a container ship in CT!

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Can’t speak to NYC from California. Over the decades I took WFR from a couple of different sources, then stuck with NOLS for ~20 years.

Why I like NOLS:

Excellent and consistent instructors
    They are outdoors-active WEMTs or paramedics, have been teaching for a while, and you don’t get different recommendations from different teachers. Very “hands-on” – if you screw up a splint, they’ll let you know, then you try again until you get it right.

Evidence-based practices, frequently updated
    Every time I recertify, some important guidelines change based on recent journal articles or field experience from thousands of NOLS students. And they cite their sources, in the course materials or in their excellent blog.

Good instructional materials
    Long, long ago, in a galaxy far away, I routinely carried the heavy Medicine for Mountaineering in my 50-pound pack. Uggh. Now I carry a light NOLS Wilderness Medicine Pocket Guide plus a couple of home-made cheat sheets. The full instructional manual is also clear, to the point, and regularly updated. However, both are full of NOLS jargon, so much less useful if you haven’t taken their courses. “Not intended to substitute for hands-on first aid training.”

Good follow-up emails.
    Periodic case studies: Here’s what happened, what would you do? Click on the link for the actual resolution, and a post-event analysis. Helps keep your knowledge fresh between recerts. Plus reminders to recertify.

Lots of opportunities to recertify.
    I used to think that I didn’t need to recert, I knew this stuff. Wrong. Besides updated practices, refreshing both head and hands knowledge is also critical to keeping calm and doing the right thing when the brown stuff hits the fan.

Alumni discounts
    I’ve rarely used these, and some are strange (Brooks Brothers?), but many are potentially quite useful. Currently includes Enlightened Equipment, GAIA GPS, Yama Mountain Gear, and 24 others.

Sorry this went long. Hope it helps.

— Rex

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Thank you , Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

One more part about the NOLS WFR courses that is very important: They teach much more than “patching broken bodies.” Includes: scene assessment and management, patient communication and longer-term management, “radio reports” and SOAP notes to communicate with rescuers and health providers, leadership and teamwork, and more. I saw only a few of those skills taught by other providers.

Long intense courses for good reasons.

— Rex

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

I looked at the NOLS dates. Nothing remotely near me, so I think I’m going to end up with Adirondack Wilderness or SOLO. They (and NOLS too) now offer  a hybrid course that will allow me to power through the didactic lessons (I’m an ER nurse and paramedic) and then just show up in the woods for the practical skills and testing. NOLS  offers a bridge program from healthcare provider to WFR but not on the east coast.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

I just went through my WFA certification over the course of two days via NOLS. It was okay compared to previous trainings. No ding on instructors, who were very experienced and great communicators. When it expires in two years, I will probably look elsewhere.

One of my friends, experienced outdoorsman and son of firefighters, speaks highly of the SOLO courses. I may use them next time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools