Topic

wet weight of silpoly

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) wet weight of silpoly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

It rained over night.  I shook it out a few good shakes.  Put it in plastic bag until back home.

0.93 silpoly RSBTR

wet weight 20.8 ounces

weight after it dried thoroughly 13.8 ounces

I think that’s about the same as silnylon

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Jerry – Another myth blasted all to heck.  Oh well.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

maybe since the outside is silicone, it doesn’t matter whether there’s nylon or polyester inside

the shaking off of water is only affected by that silicone outer layer?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I believe most [people ae interested in saturated weight, which is about 10% of an uncoated nylon. This would be worst case but add about 1.3oz to a 13oz tarp. Of course, silpoly would not have this. But, wet weight is more determined by the amount of water you shake off.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

That makes sense.  I did shake it off fairly good but there were still a lot of small droplets.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

If you want to decouple water soaked into the fabric, versus just on the fabric, you could somehow wet the shelter, quickly shake it off and then weigh it. Assuming the water hasn’t soaked it, the change in weight would be the weight of water on the fabric. Then repeat that but leave it to soak much longer (while continuing to apply water) and see if longer tests give you higher numbers than a quick “splash and shake”. If so, the additional weight would be saturation.

I’ve been really impressed with silpoly. The absence of sag in all night rain is amazing. Game changer IMO for trekking pole shelters that don’t have spring in the poleset to take up fabric sag. Plus you can get sil/PU poly which offers an awesome HH and also allows for seam taping, plus isn’t so slippery inside so a mat doesn’t slide around.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

yeah, I am happy with my silpoly mid I’ve used many nights.  That is what I would choose if I made another.

Clifford Deakyne
    BPL Member

@cliffdeakyne

Locale: Colorado Rockies foot hills

I think you have just shown that the weight is water in the fabric air spaces as opposed to in the fiber.  The silicone coating must make the nylon filament as waterproof as the polyester.

It would be interesting to wet the silpoly then shake it weigh it then vacuum it with a shop vac and reweigh it.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

or with silnylon/silpoly the silicone fills the spaces between threads, so the water is just clinging to the surface, or does silicone absorb any water?

If i spun it faster, more water would come off

maybe next time I will be more vigorous about shaking the water off and weigh that, I just shook it maybe 4 times somewhat vigorously

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yes, silicone does indeed absorb water vapour. https://imageserv5.team-logic.com/mediaLibrary/99/D116_20Haibing_20Zhang_20et_20al.pdf
    This study is mostly to do with gas permeability, but H20 is a rather small molecule, highly polar and is also a gas.
    https://nusil.com/services/downloadmedia.ashx?mediaid=593f5a33-d7f1-46e8-a189-a337caa94fec.pdf&instantDownload=false
    This quotes a .1% transmission rate for gasses through the silicone at 40C/90%RH.

Note that ultra thin coatings, such as used on Nylon6 1.1oz fabric are often stretched after curing and have higher permeability.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

interesting, then the polyester or nylon fiber inside could absorb water even though it’s covered by silicone

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

then the polyester or nylon fiber inside could absorb water even though it’s covered by silicone
    Correct imho.
    I was testing fabric for HH, and with a magnifier I could see water getting into the threads on some fabric when under pressure. But only through a silicone coating, not through a PU coating, and maybe only through some silicone formulations. It did take a fair bit of pressure before the water got through to the threads.

With really good silicone coating the silicone liquid actually gets INTO the threads: that sort of coating is obviously going to be much better that one where the silicone sits mainly on the outside of the threads. That takes a high coating pressure, =$?

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

yeah

I have silicone cookware and it seems like a different feel than silnylon.  Cookware is much harder.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

There are probably well over 1000 different siloxane formulations. Every company has its own (and a large number).

Cheers

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Assuming a coating with a high enough HH to keeps water from soaking into the fabric threads, the chief variable may be how hydrophobic the DWR treatment is. Fabrics all with high HH, may repel water to very differing degrees.

Working on the current tent, I wanted an inner with high water repellency, so it would shed water during pitching before the outer fly was fully attached to it. A sub one oz fabric that Extrem Textil has on sale because it is perhaps too loosely woven, surprised me because water would just not stick to it at all, so it filled the bill. Whether this ultra DWR treatment will last is an open question, but since a tent inner has a lot less exposure, it might hold up, especially if the seams are sealed and well sewn, reinforcement patches are adequate, and bonded if possible. For bonding, I’m looking at several adhesives, including the 2-part PU low viscosity adhesives that were talked about on BPL at at some length for bonding Cuben.

A number of folks have posted about satisfaction with the way Cuben sheds water and can be shaken out and packed without adding a lot of weight in water. Apparently this is a characteristic of the Mylar layers welded over the Dyneema, but any very high DWR treatment should yield the same result. We’ll see.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools