Topic

Western PA/NW WV backpacking recommendations?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Western PA/NW WV backpacking recommendations?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jake
    BPL Member

@jake_c

Locale: Eastern OH

Hello,

I’m trying to get back into backpacking after over a decade since my last trip.

All of my previous experience was with my uncle, who was an avid backpacker. So, I have no trip planning experience. I’ve gathered nearly everything I need for a decent kit over the last few months so I’m hoping to get out in ~May and learn the ropes.

I live in Columbiana county Ohio, and would like to stay within 4-5 hours drive time. I’m game for <20 mile 2 day over nights, as well as some 3-5 day trips at around 8-10 MPD. Thanks in advance for any recommendations or tips.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest
    Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Check out the hikes in Monongahela National Forest at the link above.  Trips I consistently hear good things about are Dolly Sods and Canaan Mountain.

Jake
    BPL Member

@jake_c

Jeff,

Thanks for the the link. I’ll do some reading!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I’ve done a number of trails within your zone.  Please feel free to PM me if any of these appeal to you and you want more info:

• John P Saylor Trail – Winber, PA – This is a great starter loop trail and can be done in one night or two if you prefer
    • Dolly Sods – Easy to spend two nights there.  I’ve been there three times, although my last visit in October 2018 was miserably muddy (the other two times were great)
    • Laurel Highlands Trail – This starts at Ohiopyle State Park and goes 70 miles through the Laurel Highlands.  It’s a linear trail so it’s best to have two cars.

Good luck and welcome back to the woods!

Jake
    BPL Member

@jake_c

Kevin,

Thanks for the info. The John P. Saylor trail and Laurel Highlands are new to me so I’ll definitely look into them. Dolly Sods is definitely on my list to check out.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

John P. Saylor is a nice loop without a lot of elevation changes and a really nice campsite along the stream.  I’ve done this trail twice with just one night on the trail.  Hiking it from the parking area counter-clockwise I think it’s about 10 miles or so to the campsite.  There’s a loop on the other side of the stream (with a neat suspension bridge over the stream) that you could use to turn it into a 2-night trip.

The Sods…Because you’re at altitude (around 4,000 feet I believe) so it’s one of the few places I’ve hiked in the summer because it’s not too hot.  I did a loop twice in August and really enjoyed it.  A group of us went back this past October and we hiked at least 25 of the 30 miles walking in either mud or water.  I was astounded – the places high on the plateau that were bone dry in the summer were simply streams or large puddles.  There are a number of stream crossings that you’ll have to do so avoid going during the rainy season.  And avoid the Dobbin Grade Trail under all circumstances.

Good luck!

Jake
    BPL Member

@jake_c

Kevin,

Once again thanks for the detailed info.  I happened across some info on oil creek in PA which is a little closer to me but it looks like you have to reserve and stay in the shelters there so it looks like the JP Saylor trail will be my first over nighter.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools