Topic

Western Mountaineering vs Montbell

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Western Mountaineering vs Montbell

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

Hi Everyone – I’m trying to decide on a sleeping bag. I’ve narrowed it down to two: Western Mountaineering’s MegaLite, and Montbell’s Down Hugger 800 #3. Both are down bags, 30°, both 1lb 8 oz (actually the Montbell is 1 lb 8.2 oz). I want a three-season bag that allows me to move. Most mummy bags are cut too slim for my taste and make me feel as or I’m being held hostage. LOL  Western Mountaineering says the MegaLite is cut larger, and the Montbell has stretch.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these bags? Western Mountaineering is pricey, but I’ve heard nothing but great reviews of their bags, and I can take the time to save up the extra money.

The MegaLite is $450 and the Down Hugger #3 is $299.

Thanks much!

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Oops – meant to write “as IF I’m being held hostage…”, not “as or I’m being held hostage…”

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

The megalite is a great bag. I have one more than a decade old. I bought it as a roomy bag and it is.

if you can’t stand it still WM sell a band expander offering even more width that you can zip in. Adds to the cost though.

you could also look at the terralite.

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

I have both at the house right now….a  megalite and a montbell #3.

I am 170lbs, 5’10” male, athletic cut. I can’t stand claustraphobic bags, so I always get wide bags.

I can fit well in both, but the megalite feels wider to me. Yes, the montbell stretches, but wherever you are “stretching” it…like…with a knee….compresses the down so you’ll have a cold spot.

Both are made well, but I believe the megalite will have a longer life…probably much longer.

Also….the megalite is going to be warmer….the montbell is really a 37-40° bag, whereas the WM is more true to 30°.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I am an unabashed fan of WM. I’ve owned both the Megalite and Terralite, and my go-to colder weather bag is the Alpinlite, to which I had WM add 3oz overfill when I visited their factory 18 months ago. The space in the Mega/Alpinlite is wonderful – I don’t like feeling confined when I roll around at night. The Terralite’s extra space was fantastic, but it was a heavier bag than I needed for late spring to early fall use. My only criticism of the Megalite is the lack of a real draft collar (it’s considered a “passive” collar) and with the wide shoulder measurement it can let in cold air unless you cinch down the hood.

Montbell’s retail store is here in town, and I’ve looked at their bags from time to time. They just don’t fill me with the same confidence that a WM bag does. The materials don’t feel quite the same quality. It’s more of a mass produced item compared with WM’s products. If you like to feel cosseted by a bag, then it may be your cup of tea. My personal preference was for the wider bag.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I’ve transitioned to quilts but prior to that used a Megalite.  I echo the previous statements that WM products are about as good as it gets. The Megalite was my main, and only, bag for 10 years and still looks/performs exactly as new. I sleep slightly cool and have used it down to 18* with a thin down jacket and pants and with all the down shifted to the top. Spreading the down equally allows it to be used as a quilt in warmer weather. The ability to move the down around to where you want it is very valuable and is a feature that, IMO, should not be overlooked.

In short, if you can afford the WM, I doubt you will be sorry you bought it.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I’ve owned the Montbell ULSS#3 for a few years now.  It’s a very good sleeping bag.  I have taken it down to freezing but I run warmer than most.  I’ve heard from several people that they find they are only comfortable in the intermediate MB bags to about 10*F warmer than what they are rated for.

My next bag will be from Western Mountaineering or a quilt from EE.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Note that a few years ago when MB went to en-ratings they bumped up the amount of down in their bags a bit

REI did the same when they also went to en-ratings

;)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

It’s possible then that I have an EN rated bag and the folks who complained about the warmth had less down.  Who knows.  It’s a good bag and I do like the stretchiness.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I own an MB # 5 and a # 3, but they’re the older versions with the 12d shells instead of the 20d that MB now uses. However. the bags are the same dimensions as the newer ones, only about 2 oz lighter.

I’m 5′ 10″ 200 lbs size XL shirts and the MB bags fit me like a glove. As you know, too much space inside of a bag makes them less efficient. I’d rate the #3 (wearing cap base layers only) at around 36 degrees for comfort and the # 5 at around 45*. MB uses 800 fill vs 850 for WM.

I also have a WM Alpinlite, which is the same exact cut as the Megalite. With 19 oz of 850 down it’s true to its rating. WM is the gold standard, but IMO Montbell sells the best UL gear for the money.

For a good video review on the MB # 3 go to Chad Poindexter on YouTube (also a BPL member). “Stick” is knowledgeable and he gives an honest assessment..

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Thanks so much, everyone, for your kind feedback. Very helpful. That’s why I like being a member here. : )  I’m a warm sleeper, so a little extra room in the sleeping bag is fine with me. I think I’ll start saving for the MegaLite. (Of course, there’s no law that says I can’t have more than one sleeping bag! LOL) Thanks again for your help.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Thanks for the plug Monte!

I agree with others about the WM bags, although I have never owned one myself, only laid in some at stores, and then went by what others on the net, or friends on hikes with me said. They have a reputation for being the top of the line, or the Gold standard by many. With this in mind, you likely wouldn’t be unhappy with the bag… it would hurt when you hit the submit order button, but once you were nestled in the bag, you would likely forget all about that! :)

Saying that, I feel like the MB bag is a worthwhile bag too. As Monte noted, I own the most recent version (review here). Construction is great, no flaws to note. Quality materials are used to build the bag, and the cost is much easier to swallow (especially when found on sale, like mine was – worth noting too, it is generally much easier to find the MB’s on sale than the WM bags). In all honesty, I have no reason to be unhappy with my bag, for me. With use, I have found it is pretty accurately rated (note though the increase in down in the newer versions from previous/older versions, which is likely due to the fact that these bags are now EN rated). It saves me weight from carrying my Helium on slightly warmer trips where my MB bag can make do, and I am confident in it to stand up to anything I personally would put it through while hiking. I also kind of like the 800 down fill vs higher down fills considering the SE is an overall humid area.

Saying all of that, no the bag is not perfect (as noted in my review), but nothing about the MB bag is a game changer for me, or truly makes me feel any less for this bag. I feel like the MB bag was a great value for my money, and I am happy to own it… And actually, if the temps will fall just a little more next week, I will be carrying it with me on another trip.

Not trying to tell you to get the MB over the WM, just wanted to share some of my views/findings on the current model MB #3 bag since I do own it. My personal opinion though, if you are set on the WM bag, go for it. There has been several times in which I bought a piece of gear and thought, I wish I could have went with that other one instead (even if the one I bought was still good enough)… then later ended up getting the other anyway, so it really cost me more money in the end…

I will also say though, if you are dead-set on the WM, and if you haven’t already, check out Hermit’s Hut. Last I checked, they offered the free overfill and free shipping as a norm, and at times, they would have sells (but like I mentioned, not very often for WM products). I must say I have never ordered from them, so can’t speak to that, but I know I have seen others on these and other forums ordered from them and don’t recall any issues…

Hope this helps!

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Can I be the one to suggest that if you don’t like being encased in a mummy bag you should try a quilt? I always hated being zipped up and confined in a mummy – and I purchased a cheap go-lite quilt to try out.

I’ve not looked back – and a few quilts later I’m now the proud owner of a 15-ish degree EE enigma.  It’s a work of beauty and I have no desire to have another sleeping bag/quilt. I made my own summer blanket that I use when it’s warm out, but that enlightened equipment quilt is a dream to sleep in, even down to the upper teens (and I sleep cold). So nice to be able to kick a foot out or keep it loose on top of me if it’s warmer, or if it’s cold to tuck it in all snug and get lost in all that poofy down….ah………

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I agree Jennifer, quilts are awesome… I have several, but I also have my sleeping bags too… I like having a choice. I second the EE quilts though! :)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Never tried a Montbell bag but have used many of their down clothing items, the quality is nearly as good as Western Mountaineering. I have used plenty of WM bags and they really are good.

Currently have a Terralite, Puma and Alpine lite (wife’s bag). Also have a Kodiak but selling that.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I’m with Jen.  If you don’t like being constricted, try a quilt.  I have never felt constricted in a quilt.  And you could get a 20 degree quilt for less weight than a 30 degree bag.  Ah, the freedom of slipping right in and out of it!

I also own a MB #3.  I liked it well.  The stretch does make it a little more roomy than other bags.  Honestly, though, I have never used it since I got my quilt.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

WM bags are my favorite. I started with North Face down bags in the mid 1970’s, switched to the original USA made Marmot bags in the early 1980’s, then switched to WM in 1992. I’ve had 5 different WM bags, including two currently, a Versalite for colder weather, and an Ultralite for general purpose use. All my WM bags, including my wife’s Alpinlite, have come from Hermit’s Hut. All have had overfill which I recommend.

Perhaps it’s over 40 years of sleeping in mummy bags, or perhaps that I’m a fairly slender 5’10″/160, but I like mummy bags, and my slender Ultralite suits me perfectly. I’m not interested in quilts.

As to Montbell vs. WM, Montbell makes fine gear. I’ve got several pieces from them going back to the mid 1980’s, but it’s my opinion their down bags aren’t quite up to the quality of WM, nice though they are. I also enjoy supporting a US based Co. that sews and produces them in California, and it’s not like you’re settling for second best doing so!

Another top notch bag maker is Valandre, and to a lesser degree Feathered Friends.

The current 800 ci fill Marmot bags are also quite good if you don’t feel like spending WM type coin, and they can be had on sale regularly.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Three notes …

• as a woman (even one that sleeps a bit warm) youll want to take off 10F the rating of most bags and quilts … If using en-ratings look at the “comfort rating” (not the lower limit)
    • a wider bag will generally be less thermally efficient all other things being equal, youll have more dead air to heat up … However if you wear yr poofayz to sleep this can fill ip the gap a bit
    • many folks find quilts more comfortable but they generally require more skill to use … Especially once you gey below freezing and start hitting the quilts temp limits you need to use the straps and cords properly … And youll want good headgear (more than just a beanie) … If you do a search in bpl and reddit youll find tons of threads on “why is my quilt cold/drafty”, by folks who havent developed the skillset yet …. By contrast a sleeping bag is dead simple, just zip it up

i own both a WM highlite and an older EE revelation

;)

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

I hear people talk about the skill needed for a quilt but really don’t understand it.  I just get in, snap it behind my neck, and pull the drawstring a bit if it’s cool.  It seems easier than a bag to me, if anything.  I used my quilt in 20 degree weather last week and didn’t use straps or fancy headgear.  I did pull the hood of my base layer over my head.  One night it got windy and I pulled the hood of my light down jacket around my head.  That’s it.  I never got even a little cold even with cold windy conditions and a quilt at or near the rating of the weather.  I remained perplexed by the kind of skill needed to stay warm in a quilt.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

• Ben,

if you can sleep with nothin more than a base layer on yr head in windy 20F conditions then yr probably not a “normal” person …

most folks including myself needs head insulation at that point … In fact old us army tests showed that not having head insulation while having the rest of the body well insulated results in substantial heat loss through the head

here an typical thread about someone not using a quilt well

Quilt not as warm as a sleeping bag? from Ultralight

Note the response of mr boysen who works for EE on the proper use of a quilt

IBasically you should look like the photo above

Heres another one ….

Very upset with my enlightened equipment quilt, temperature rating seems completely inaccurate. from Ultralight

;)

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Ha, your picture makes using a quilt seem terrible!  It looks like it’s from a science-fiction movie and she is about to be probed.

I might not be normal, eric, but that’s a whole different conversation.

I understand some people complain about them.  It’s just difficult for me to understand.  A quilt seems so simple, easy, light, and warm to me.

A friend of mine who sometimes backpacks with me has one and complains about it.  He says it lets in drafts when he rolls over.  I’ve never really had that problem.  If it’s not covering my body completely, I assume I unconsciously pull it back over.

And I’m not a particularly warm sleeper.  With my MB #3, I started to feel cool around freezing.

I spent last week in the Winds in cold, windy conditions some nights.  More insulation over my head would have made me feel hot.  A simple cap 4 hood was plenty, except for one night when I did pull the hood of my light down jacket over my head; it was REALLY windy.  I did wear the light down jacket on 2 of the colder nights.  My backpacking buddy was also in a 20 degree EE quilt with no issues with only light head gear.

Straps around the pad seem like a mistake to me.  First, it’s extra work.  Second, it’s a little bit constricting.  Third, it would seems to keep a gap of cold air where it pulls around the pad.

In the end, I am able to keep plenty warm with a lot less weight.  And I feel more comfortable.  Obviously, if it didn’t keep me warm, I wouldn’t use it either.

Reddit users seem to always be upset.

;)

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Not surprisingly the thread has drifted away from Kathy’s original question comparing two specific sleeping bags to the topic of quilts. In my earlier reply I stopped myself from adding a final comment related to that point, but I’ll mention it here given the direction the thread has taken.

I switched from the Megalite to the Alpinlite to extend the usable seasons with the latter bag. I had an opportunity to try the Terralite, but it was a lot more material than I needed and the weight savings over the Alpinlite didn’t exist. So I sold the Terralite and replaced it with an EE Enigma 30F. The toebox is every bit as wide as the Megalite / Alpinlite, and it’s much easier to vent in warm weather. Plus the thing packs down to nothing. It’s half the weight and bulk of the Alpinlite. That’s a real boon for my summer trips.

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Thanks again, everyone! You’ve all been very helpful. I found the info about quilts interesting. I’m familiar with them from watching youtube hiking trip videos by Sean “Shug” Emery who is a hammock camper and uses a quilt by, I believe, JacksRBetter. I may try that route sometime. BTW, I’m a warm sleeper so I’m not too worried about extra room in the sleeping bag.

Thanks again, everyone! I’m leaning toward the WM Megalite bag. : )

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools