Topic

Western mountaineering temp ratings

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Western mountaineering temp ratings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Shae S
    BPL Member

@lynx1988

Are the temp ratings pretty accurate? Debating between a lynx or a antelope. The lynx would probably be warmer than what I need but I would probably use it like a quilt most of the time. Just want to invest in one cold weather bag that will last me a long time.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

For me they’re accurate, but everyone’s different.

Where in NA do you intend to use this bag, what season, what are the average temps?

Do you already have a warmer weather bag?

Shae S
    BPL Member

@lynx1988

1. @bradmacmt I got a 20 degree UGQ bandit. I’m in Colorado so it’s always subject to change haha. But I want something I can use here in the winter, want something warm enough I can cowboy camp in.
    Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

WM is well known for temp ratings that are accurate (if not conservative). I’m a fairly neutral (not hot or cold sleeper) and have comfortably taken the Badger 15 degree bag down to 11 in base layers. This was in a floorless tipi shelter with good air flow and using an XTherm pad.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Shae, I’d absolutely go Lynx.

Shae S
    BPL Member

@lynx1988

@bradmacmt Do you have a lynx? It seems awesome

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Ditto on the conservative temp ratings

I have a versatile and a summerlite

And, as an example, I’ve slept very comfortably, in a tent to the mid 20’s.  in my summerlite.

Axel J
    BPL Member

@axel-t

I’m not sure I completely agree with those who think WM’s ratings are conservative. In my Versalite, I’m only truly comfortable into the upper 30s. To go down to 10 degrees, I would need to wear down garments as well, but that just demonstrates how everyone has their own unique tolerance to cold. Cold air has a  propensity to find a way in and reduce the warmth so the hood and draft collar need to be cinched up tight.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I had trouble staying warm in WM bags near their rated temperature – until I got warm enough sleeping pads. Thin foam pads, Z-lites, and uninsulated air mats aren’t warm enough. Finally got warmer pads, and all is well.

— Rex

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

@bradmacmt Do you have a lynx? It seems awesome

Good morning Shae. No, I don’t have a Lynx, but going back to 1992 I’ve had a Dakota Super, Antelope Super, Alpinlite, Versalite, and Ultralite. I currently have the Versalite and Ultralite, my wife has an Alpinlite. She likes the extra room, but I”m so used to mummy bags that its 64″ shoulder girth feels too large! The Versalite is my roomier fall bag, the Ultralite is my all-around backpacking bag.

The Dakota is no longer made, but was a -5*F bag, so “almost” the Lynx (but had a 59″ shoulder girth). Here in Montana sub zero is pretty common in winter, and I’d rather have the extra margin of security the Lynx offers, especially if you’re going to use it as a quilt. Certainly the Antelope could work, but I just don’t think a 5* bag is really a true winter bag for the Rockies, unless you couple it with a VBL and overbag, in which case it would work. But since you’re using it as a quilt, both those are not really options. Were I going out to get a winter bag tomorrow I’d most likely get the Lynx. Maybe the Puma. As of now, I don’t do deep winter trips anymore. The coldest I’ve slept out in the last 10 years has been around 0*F in fall.

As Rex says, I think the temp ratings are spot on, but that also assumes a weather-appropriate pad.

Shae S
    BPL Member

@lynx1988

@bradmacmt Damn Brad I bet the folks at wm love you! Obviously if it was up to me I would have the colder weather 12 and a winter bag. Unfortunately the finances aren’t there for that and I can only really make a one time purchase. That’s why I was perhaps wanting to use the lynx as a quilt when it’s maybe below 30 And zip it up for anything Colder than under 15°.

lee kingry
    BPL Member

@leek2

Locale: Alabama and GSMNP North Carolina

Shane,I am usually warm in my badger in the 5 to 10 range once I warm up. I have to take off any extra clothes I have on after the initial warm up. And down to a thin base layer before falling to sleep. As far as maximum low with a thermarest Xthrem with a thin gossamer gear foam pad, and thin synthetic inner bag I’ve had the badger down to – 17, and  by itself my megalight and neoair down to low teens.

If you only want one winter bag it’s always easier to open up a bag that’s too hot then it is to sleep cold through the night.

Shae S
    BPL Member

@lynx1988

@leek2 This is my problem  is that i hate sleeping in multiple layers. I just use smartwool long johns and top. I have been debating between a cold weather quilt ( katabatic grenadier) or either of these western mountaineering bags. Im not apposed to the idea of laying under a bag or quilt but its not my favorite

John P
    Spectator

@john-penca-2

My 2 cents:  Get the Lynx.  It’s a small weight penalty for peace of mind. For warmer temps, using it as a quilt is no biggie. In fact, it gives you more room to move.  I do it all the time with my bags, as I’d rather have too much bag than not enough.  Too many nights were spent shivering when I was a poor kid and couldn’t afford a decent bag.  But I’m no gram weanie.

Like you Shae, I’m not a fan of wearing anything in my bag other than a base layer.

Shae S
    BPL Member

@lynx1988

@john-penca-2 Thanks man! Is the lynx a really tight squeeze inside? I’m about 6’1 175 with broad shoulders, hard to find comfort in bags for me that’s why I normally do quilts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools