Topic

Western Mongolia / Altai Mountains – advice needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Western Mongolia / Altai Mountains – advice needed

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Andreas K
    BPL Member

@andreas

Hi,

I’m looking for any experience or advice regarding trekking in the Altai Mountains in the Tavan Bogd national park in western Mongolia at the end of the summer or early autumn. I’ve found a few pages online, but most information is about group travel, whereas I would prefer solo, self-supported. There is also one earlier thread here on BPL, but the OP hasn’t been active in a long time and the links are mostly dead by now.

I was hoping to put together a 7-10 day trek, but at this stage I’m just trying to figure out whether this would be feasible for me. Does anyone have info or insights on:
    -Logistics for getting from Ulanbaataar to the West? For arranging transport to and from start/end points for the trek (e.g. the ranger station or Sirgali)?
    -Routes?
    -Permits needed and whether solo hiking is allowed? There seems to be conflicting information online on whether you are allowed to travel without a guide or not?
    -Recommendations for a local company that could assist with “everything except guiding”?

Grateful for any advice!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools