Topic

West Coast Trail planning ?'s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning West Coast Trail planning ?'s

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Locale: Monterey Bay

West Coast Trail planning ?’s… so am being sent to Seattle end of June beginning of July and am thinking of doing the WCT from N to S… the lottery opens next week ? will all of the spots be taken right off or do I have a little while before I need to chose a start date. The time I am in Seattle seems to be a high use time also for the WCT.

On another note the pack list is a bit old a stuffy when one reads the books about the trail and different web sites… it seems to me this would be the perfect trail for my Salomon XA Pro 3D GTX but most everyone says big sturdy boots water proof; whats with that…?

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

I would get online right away to get your preferred slot. A lot of people use boots because they have 50# + packs. The West Coast Trail is perfect for ultralight. The only thing my wife and I changed from our regular gear was synthetic for our jackets and sleeping bags. Neither of us used gtx in our shoes. Here are some pictures from our trip. Some of the guys from this forum have done multiple trips and will maybe chime in.

The Start

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

. HERE is Steve Evan’s May 2015 gear list and VIDEO trip report, his pack weight was 11.4 lbs

Mike Bozman
    Spectator

@myarmisonfire

Locale: BC

Been on the trail a few times and many times on the JdF just to the south.  It is just a little drive down the road from me.

If you can hike in mud and slippery terrain, you will do fine with regular shoes.  Hiking poles are a must.

Yes, the times that you are looking at will be busy but there is lots of solitude on the trail.  Pick your preferred start date ASAP.  Long weekend start times will sell out right away.  Southbound will sell out before northbound.  Also make reservations on the West Coast Trail bus if you need to get back the start point.  If you want to save a few buck and hike a bit longer, Yo-yo the trail and save yourself nearly $100 and several hours on the bus.  Pack Gravol for the bus.  The trail is worth hiking both directions.  Mention it to them when you do your orientation.  You will have to pay twice for the river crossings, but not double the trail fees.

Have you considered reversing the direction of your hike?  I think that it is a better hike going north rather than south.

What are your plans for getting to the trailhead?  You can catch the Clipper from Seattle (sans car) to Victoria and then catch the bus to the trailhead.

For a few more miles you can tack on the JdF Trail with the WCT.  If the tides are in your favor doing the JdF should only add 1 extra night.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Thanks all for the info… I still do not know when I will be going up to Seattle and as I look at the availability most dates are taken for my time frame; except for the mid point and do a yo yo type of trip. any thoughts about going in at the mid-point except cost. Thanks

Mike Bozman
    Spectator

@myarmisonfire

I wouldn’t do a mid point entry.  If you are not starting on a weekend you should be able to get a walk up spot.  Just camp at the campground at the trailhead (either end) and get in line at the park building early.  I have been able to do walk up a few times on a long weekend no problem.  Three of us even got on for a Friday start before a long weekend in August.

You can also talk to the rangers on the phone as they are really helpful.  Closer to the time they will give you an idea on how busy it is and if you will get an easy walk on or not.

Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Mike if you are still around it seems I can start my trip on June 30th. as work figures the next week is a short one and and I can combine a travel day in there and a couple vac. days and I would be good to go. It seems like such a high use time for the trail however; still doable ? you think…

Mike Bozman
    Spectator

@myarmisonfire

Hmm.  It will be a busy weekend for sure!  If you are willing to camp out at the Ranger cabin and be first in line you should be ok.  Worst case scenario you could hike the yo-yo JdF trail.  It’s northern terminus is the southern start for the WCT.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools