Topic

Werner paddle at REI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Werner paddle at REI

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Scott McCain
    BPL Member

@highlander366

Locale: Idaho

I’m saving my way to jump into the world of Packrafting and hope to have an Alpacka Expedition by this summer.  I also have a fairly large dividend to use at REI and was hoping to get any feedback on the Werner Pack Tour M 4-pc kayak paddle.  It seems to be in the ball park for length, weight, and has the wider paddle blade that I think I would prefer.  Any other thoughts or comments?

https://www.rei.com/product/117241/werner-pack-tour-m-4-piece-kayak-paddle

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Scott,

210 is the maximum length you will need for your packraft using an efficient high angle stroke.  Buy a Werner 4-piece in the range of 200 (WW primarily) to 210 (flat water primarily).

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I have the paddle and quite like it. I use the extended length the flats and the shorter length in Rapids when I need a little extra pull.  I’ve put about 500 Backcountry kilometers on mine

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’d call a high-angle stroke powerful, but not efficient.  When sea kayaking, I want to keep my shoulders as low and as relaxed as possible and that’s easier with a longer paddle.  Likewise, I like a smaller blade – the large surface of a blade only helps for the first few strokes.  After that, a much smaller blade propels you just as well.

But I’m on flat and flattish water.  I want a stroke I can do for hours and I’m using a 210-, 215-, even a 220-cm paddle.  If you’re in real white water, you sometimes need to dig in deep, close, and pull hard on every stroke.  Then a shorter, larger-blade paddle is preferred.

Scott McCain
    BPL Member

@highlander366

Locale: Idaho

Thank you for all the responses. I ended up going with the Werner.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools