Topic

Welding Dyneema X Gridstop?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Welding Dyneema X Gridstop?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kodiak Firesmith
    Spectator

@kodiak

Folks,

In my ongoing search for ways to augment my MLD Core with side pockets, and perhaps a front stuff pocket, I came across this video:

YouTube video

Which discusses using DIY methods to achieve strong welded seams.  I’m particularly interested in using Pellon EZ Steam adhesive on Dyneema Gridstop and 4-way (nylon/lycra) stretch material.  Anyone done anything similar at all?

Thanks!

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

I am also looking into welding seams. I hope people with experience Chime in.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I have some experience trying to weld pure dyneema fabrics in basically the same way as the video. If you try to weld Gridstop, the Dyneema threads will shrink imperceptibly and loose all of their strength. Dyneema gets its strength from very long polyethylene molecules packed together in parallel. When heated, even if there is no visible melting, those molecules curl up and their orientation becomes random inside the fiber and the strength disappears. So, welding with heat, in my experience, essentially removes the Dyneema from the heated zones around the seams, making the seams the weakest part of the pack.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools