Topic

Weird hip-ish pain

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

So the the last couple of months I’ve had a recurring but short lived pain in my hip region, 6-8″ below my waist, about 3″ forward of my side seam in my jeans. It’s a pretty sharp pain, perhaps 5-6 on the 10 scale, and lasts anywhere from one to two minutes. It’s not a cramp, feels more like what a muscle spasm would feel like, only it’s not a muscle spasm. Happens nearly once a day, sometimes two or three times in a day. Doesn’t seem to occur at any specific time, or after eating any specific thing, etc. It doesn’t radiate in any direction at all. I have no other pain anywhere else when it’s happening. Like I said, weird.

Anyone else ever have anything like this? If so, what did it turn out to be?

And yes, I’ll bring it up with my doc the next time I see him, which will be in February. Just curious if anyone else has experienced similar pain.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Osteoarthritis?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

My hips hurt like that a bit sometimes.  Yeah, probably osteoarthritis.

old age is a bitch

I can be thankful that I get to experience it rather than someone that got run over by a truck or something : )

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Is it still going on?
    I have odd sharp pains here and there including my right hip. Nothing too regular so I have not tried to find out what it is but if you have info let us know.
    Hopefully this is not a problem for you at this point.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

I suffer from FAI (femoroacetabular impingement) in both hips and what you’ve described is how I felt when I first noticed it a few years back. PT fixed me up nicely, but if I don’t keep up with my stretching then the pain returns. Two docs told me it’s not an uncommon condition for active people. Sitting for long periods can really irritate my condition, so along with stretching, I also use a stand-up desk. Best of luck to you.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Stranger things. This week the pain got stronger and more frequent, and it began to last longer too – would take several minutes to finally subside. While it was only happening a couple times day before, this week it started to happen throughout the day, which pretty much kept me in the house and fairly immobile. It got bad enough that I decided to see my doc about it. Until yesterday. No pain at all yesterday. None. After a bit of internet cruising I started taking a potassium supplement four days ago. It’s the only thing that I’ve done differently over the last couple of months that I’ve had the pain, so am assuming that I simply had a potassium deficiency. Man, our bodies can be really weird some times.

Thanks for the replies.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

doctor Doug : )

I disagree with your potassium diagnosis.  That could be random.  It just happened to get better when you took the potassium.

I had the theory glucosamine and chondroitin helped.  Hip (or was it knee?) hurt, I took GC, it got better.  Then another time the GC didn’t work.  Another time it got better by itself.

But, your plan to not go to doctor makes sense.  If you’re better now.  Taking a little potassium is harmless.  Taking too much potassium can be a problem, but I’m sure you’ve researched that.

My new theory is that stretching and exercise are good.  They’re good even if it doesn’t help my hip or knee.  I went to a Physical Therapist once and that’s what he said.

I think going to a doctor would be good, and then go to PT.  If it continues to be a problem.

In my opinion : )

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Doug, I’ve been thinking about your issue. It seems like during the past couple of months you have done two coast-to-coast driving marathons, and I wonder if that might have anything to do with this. You know, sitting in the same position behind the wheel for maybe 8 hours a day, for several days at a time.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

The pain started before my road trip, and didn’t really get worse during the entire trip, only started to get worse a number of days after I got home, so while that doesn’t disprove your thoughts, I haven’t seen much correlation. Appreciate the thoughts though.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Yoga stretches for the hips are wonderful. We who sit too much often have very tight hips, and keeping them looser and more flexible really helps with arthritis pain. I have also found those same hip stretches to help my lower back as well.

Even just a few years ago, I wasn’t fully aware of just how much pain the elderly are always in. Suddenly, I get it.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

What specific yoga stretches?

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I do pigeon daily, supta baddha konasana, baddha konasana, upavista konasana, and the standing version of the same. Pigeon in particular is helpful on hikes. I also try to do the entire alphabet with my feet, rotating at the ankles, to stretch and loosen my Achilles, calves, shins, toes. Not exactly a yoga posture, but it really helps with my tight Achilles.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

Thanks

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

Make sure your scheduled appointment is with an orthopedic and not just your primary care doctor. I can’t stress this enough! Ask me how I know…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

“I disagree with your potassium diagnosis.  That could be random.  It just happened to get better when you took the potassium.”

I stopped taking it. Pain came back today. I’m back on it. Disagree away Dr. Jerry… :-)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I’ve been feeling bad about that comment : )

Good experiment. I’m going to have to try that

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

I had a pain in the very same place. It got not more painful but more frequent over a couple of years. I had to give up running marathons – – hell I had to give up running all together.

In my case it turned out to be osteoarthritis in my knees. The thigh muscles were compensating to keep the bone in the knee joint from grinding against each other.

It got so bad that I had to goose-step the last 30 miles of 100 mile wilderness this past summer.

Got my knees stem celled. Not a quack clinic but it is legitimate board-certified orthopedic clinic in Austin. It’s a damn miracle.

We did the other Mountain Loop over New Year’s in big bend national park – – not even the slightest amount of pain.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Sorry to hear you’ve had more of this pain, Doug.  But given that you seem to have found the likely cause, you might want to contact your doctor to find out why you might be having low potassium and get at the root cause of that.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I got hit by a car and I went to the doctor the next day. I could barely walk because of my knee. They gave me x-rays, they moved my leg this way and that, but it didn’t hurt. I could barely walk but all the stuff they did showed there was nothing wrong. Three weeks later it still hurts like a mofo but I can ride my bike and walk up and down stairs and hills. I don’t get it. The going to the doctor cure only works while you are there, and then you are left with your pain and no remedy. What are we supposed to do? I’m thinking maybe all we can do is endure.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Seems to me that the doctor should be able to explain to you why it is hurting, and what the expected treatment and timeline is for that injury. If not, maybe you need a better doctor? Have you been back after the initial visit?

Just enduring does not sound right to me.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Look into the psychology of pain and it’s no wonder doctors have such a hard time explaining why something hurts. Glad you found something that seems to be working Doug. Not casting off all docs, but I’m increasingly feeling that I’m responsible for reading, researching, experimenting, sorting most of my own issues, especially when it comes to overall wellness, injury, and recovery.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

The potassium thing didn’t really pan out, it seems. I went to a physiatrist a few days ago, he feels that it’s probably an issue with having a trigger point in my glutes or quads, more specifically the gluteus minimus and medius. So he wants me to work on hamstring flexibility, glute strength and IT band stretch. And after my contractors finish messing about with some wall movement in my house that’s what I’ll do.

Fortunately I haven’t had the pain for a few weeks now. If it returns he suggests perhaps trying trigger point injections or dry needling.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

“So he wants me to work on hamstring flexibility, glute strength and IT band stretch.”

Romanian deadlifts my friend.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools