Topic

Weekend in CA, LAX, Joshua Tree weekend

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Weekend in CA, LAX, Joshua Tree weekend

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Hi all,

Mid September I have a work trip to Laguna Beach which is about 1.5 hours south of LA. I have to be back sometime in mid afternoon on Monday 9/18 to check in with work.

So I wanted to take advantage and see one National Park. What do you think of Joshua Tree? Its only about 2 hours from LA or Laguna Beach. I know CA has tons of parks but I dont wanna spend too much time driving.  Joshua Tree solid choice?

Not sure if to fly in to LA Fri vs Saturday before that Monday? …..If I fly in Saturday Im guessing I would get to Joshua Tree town in the evening and can explore Sunday and part of Monday and drive off Monday after lunch or early afternoon. Too rushed? Maybe fly in Friday instead to arrive to Joshua Tree Fri evening? (car rental)……..Hard for me tell how much time to dedicated to different national parks.

Also, not sure if camping is super totally worth it? (vs Air BnB or whatever). Camping could mean hauling gear though…..

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

You might be in for a rude shock when you find yourself sitting in traffic for four hours on a supposed ninety minute drive. It is the LA area after all…..

I’m sure you’ll get great suggestions on Joshua Tree or alternatives.

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Great observation. I can fly to Santa Ana/John Wayne airport, direct.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

-Yes on Joshua Tree!

-Many Angelenos head out to JT for the weekend, so you will be in competition with them for campsites and for places to stay. We always go to the 29 Palms Inn. Small cabins, hippie funk, pool and decent food. The place has been slowly upscaling for years now, cleaner, tighter. Definitely a nice complement to the park experience. But the Euro guidebooks sure know about the place, it may already be booked up.

-Pick your drive times carefully, that two hour drive can get much longer if you get caught up with the LA-Vegas flow. I imagine Monday noon would be absolutely fine for the return, but I would hesitate leaving LA later than 1 PM.

-Some are happy with a two-hour drive through the park. Other can spend days exploring, or even hanging at the pool. It is a very special place.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Check if you can fly into Ontario (ONT) which is further east and closer to Joshua Tree (89  miles versus 142 miles from LAX) and avoids that much more potential traffic (although it is a smaller airport, so check car rental prices first.  And the cheapest prices on ONT rental cars involve TWO shuttle buses).

Or, better yet, Palm Springs (PSP) which is 50 miles from Joshua Tree NP.  And is the kind of resort destination I would expect to have cheaper rental car prices (but YMMV).

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Yep, ONT or PSP. Keep in mind that Joshua Tree is desert and September can be hot, as in triple digits, and sometimes you can get really nice weather.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Joshua Tree is a great choice if it’s cool enough.  You can go really light (other than the water carry) and camp backcountry: no stove, light or no tarp, etc.  Or the campsites among the huge boulders are pretty cool too.

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Hey there

Do I need a car in Joshua to get around?

So Im flying in to Santa Ana/Orange airport on Saturday 9/16, getting in at noon. Joshua is 2 hours away by car. Do I need a car in Joshua to get around? (like Im thinking catch a bus from Santa Ana to Joshua).

I would leave JOshua and drive back to Laguna Beach on Monday mid or late afternoon.  So I have Sat afternoon, Sunday all day and night and Monday until later afternoon to explore Joshua.Would love your suggested hikes for that time frame?

:)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Joshua Tree National Park is larger than the state of Rhode Island.

You could get a ride to the town of Joshua Tree or Twentynine Palms as both have entrance roads to the park, but both are a few miles from the entrance gates.

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

ok i think i should rent a car :)

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Would love more cool little hotel recommendations for the area….? :)

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Picked Harmony Motel :)

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

J Tree is an amazing and beautiful place if you are in to desert environments. it could be a bit warm in September. if you want the Full Joshua Tree experience you should make every effort to spent at least one night car camping among the rocks (in the camp grounds) and talking with the climbers, since this is a world class destination climbing area, as well as a must see place for non climbers. (in the 1970’s and 1980’s before the place became a national park, at least 2/3 of the visitors were climbers, that number is a bit smaller these days).

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Thanks.

So what are some cool day hike trails to do daytime?

Where should I go at night?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

if you want the best one night camp experience, (my personal opinion), try to stay among the rocks at either Hidden Valley Campground (usually full) or Jumbo Rocks campground (a large campground where you can often find a spot). Third place would be Ryan Campground (a smallish spot, different from the first 2 in that it is very open and allows expansive views of the park.) these 3 places are full of tourists and climbers, but you get a feel for the place. maybe even get yourself invited to someone’s camp fire.

going for total solitude is also an amazing experience in the park, by I feel it is better to do it as a cross country trip once you have come to understand the park.

the short touristy hikes are some of the best ones for a first timer.

Real Hidden Valley trail is a must do (near Hidden Valley), then you have Barker Dam, and Split Rocks trail (near Jumbo Rocks).

if you are adventurous and good at not getting lost, you may want to venture out into the Wonderland of rocks, an amazing place, but only a wispy sort of trail, so pay attention.

there is also a nice car drive out Geology Tour Rd (borderline 4 wheel drive),  and a couple other car tour roads to get you familiar with the place.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I used to travel often for business and usually put my UL pack and kit in my suitcase so I could do backpacking trips too. So it would be sleeping outdoors, not in a motel for me.

Here is Hidden Valley in September of 2005 on a week day. They no longer allow trailers in this campground.

There is a visitor center on each road to all the entrances where you can get lots of information. Also note that on most weekends Jumbo Rocks campground can be party city.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools