Topic

Week long Absaroka – Beartooth trip.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Week long Absaroka – Beartooth trip.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Seth R
    BPL Member

@lerxst

Locale: Northeast

I’m really hoping to get some responses on this unlike the last time I posted.

Last year I did a week in the Winds and was blown away. The Beartooths look to be the same quality of solitude and above treeline magic. I’m looking for ideas to get off trail and see more of the backcountry. Sadly, I haven’t found a book that has anything close to what Pallister’s does for the Winds. Can anyone suggest some resources that will help with planning? What books are folks using?  Any route suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

George Ford
    BPL Member

@eers2u

Locale: West Virginia

My research has led me to conclude that there aren’t really any definitive resources for the Beartooths like Nancy’s book.   I picked up a book called Hiking the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness by Bill Schneider, which has some ideas and good info, but the primary focus is on day hikes.   I’d post over on Backpackers Basecamp, some posters are really good resources on that area.   Here is one post that may help:  http://bpbasecamp.freeforums.net/thread/12714/beartooths-suggestions

I’m in exactly the same boat as you – Winds last year, Beartooths this year.  We followed (mostly) #16  South Central Winds Tour.   Same feeling – blown away at how spectacular the Winds are – almost afraid to go anywhere else because it may not measure up.  However, the Beartooths looks to be equally spectacular so really looking forward to seeing them this year.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

A good week long option is to traverse from Aero Lakes over to Island Lake. Lots of easy cross country travel options to create your own route through the high lakes plateau. Great fishing and scenery.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

You might try asking some folks over on https://www.yellowstone.net/forums/, particularly the non-Yellowstone forum.  The site is mostly for YNP info, but many of the posters live in the area and are quite knowledgeable about surrounding opportunities and are happy to share.  Traffic can be a little slow, but it might be worth a shot.

Seth R
    BPL Member

@lerxst

Wow,

Haven’t checked this thread in a while. Thanks for the tips.

@eers2u
    . I have done exactly what you said and got Schneider’s book. Seems like a decent primer. Thanks for the link.When are you going out? Looking like late August for me.

@ryan
    . I have looked at exactly that kind of route in reverse. Starting at Island Lake, following the divide, crossing over the beaten path and coming out after Aero Lakes. Either that or trying to loop down towards Lake of the Winds and pick up the trails around Otter Lake back to my start. Saves me a hitch hike back.

@jennifera
    . Thank you, I will look in to it.

George Ford
    BPL Member

@eers2u

I’ll be there the first week of August, interestingly enough am looking at the same exact route from Island Lake over to Aero and out.  Depending on how beat up we feel when we get to the Beaten Path we may turn north and explore it a bit instead of over to Aero/Skytops lakes area.    Route looks pretty straightforward but I’ll have my 21 year old daughter with me who isn’t crazy about exposure, so am currently debating whether to go up on Summit Mt. and traverse across Dewey/Rosebud or alternatively, how to get around them, which doesn’t look all that easy either.

Seth R
    BPL Member

@lerxst

Fantastic, George. I may be hitting you up for some trail(less) beta.

George Ford
    BPL Member

@eers2u

Be glad to provide it!

George Ford
    BPL Member

@eers2u

Seth – we did end up hiking from Island Lake off trail, intersecting the Beaten Path at Fossil Lake, then down the trail as far as Impasse Falls and then back out to the Clarks Fork trailhead.   Let me know if you need any info!   Fair amount of snow in some areas, especially around Red Rock Lake, bugs were moderate most of the time.

Seth R
    BPL Member

@lerxst

George,

Thank you. I wound up going to the Winds again. Perhaps the AB  next year.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools