Topic

Way cheap bowls, cups, and spoons at Walmart

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Way cheap bowls, cups, and spoons at Walmart

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

This week I was walking through Walmart and they had a pallet of plastic utensils, bowls and cups, each in a 5-pack for $1.69.  Since we do a lot of family backpacking trips, I try to keep some nicely-stacking eating gear around.  A Scout troop might also want to have inexpensive group gear.  $1.01 / set.

Specs:
    5 bowls in shrink wrap: 6.0 ounces, 171 grams, 12/13 fluid ounce capacity
    5 cups in shrink wrap: 4.6 ounces, 131 grams, 6/8 fluid ounce capacity
    5 spoons and 5 forks: 5.1 ounces, 146 grams, 6.4 inches long.

The bowl and cup overtop at 13 and 8 fluid ounces.  The bowl is usable with 10 ounces of liquid or 12 ounces of chunkier stuff.  The cup overtops at 8 ounces and easily holds 6 ounces of liquid.

Single bowl: 29 grams
    Single cup: 20 grams
    Single spoon: 14 grams
    Single fork (I’d never bring a fork): 10 grams.
    They varied 5-8% in weight from color to color.

The bowls are a nice size.

The cups are on the small side.  So if I was on my own, and making hot water for tea or hot chocolate, I’d want a larger cup/mug.  But on a family trip, I’d have a pot of boiling water and be refilling cups once or twice.

The spoons are nice if you’re not using FD packages or doing FBC.  The handles are nice, rounded and the spoon is pretty strong – I could imagine scooping ice cream with it.  They don’t stack as well as Light-my-Fire sporks, but they aren’t evil like the LnF sporks – the handles are comfortable instead of the fork end rubbing the web between my fingers.

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

<p style=”text-align: left;”>What’s the outer diameter of the bowl?</p>

Steven McDowell
    BPL Member

@smcdindelmar

Locale: San Diego

Looks like the same stuff that is at IKEA.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30192960/

As a Bowl, I prefer using the  Fage Yoguart or Vosko Yogurt ~16oz  containers. Around my house in less than 2 months I have 8 bowls.

The Fage weight 16grams each and can fit into a lot of backpacking pots, along with room to fit in most 8oz isopropane fuel cans. If we have a kid just carrying fuel I usually give him a bowl to carry also since the fuel can fits nicely inside.

For group camping I have been able to put 3 “bowls” into my Reactor along with a can of fuel and the  burner.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Gumbo,  Sorry, missed your question earlier.

4.7-inch diameter at the top rim.

3.7-inch diameter at the base.

1.75-inch height.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools