Topic

Waterproof mitts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Waterproof mitts

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

Looking for a waterproof mitts and would like some suggestions.  I would be using a fleece liner glove under the mitt.  Thanks,

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The obvious ones are the MLD eVent mitts.  They’ve been around a long time and though I had a pair delaminate, I think they now use a different version of eVent.

I think Borah Gear makes eVent mitts as well and may be a bit cheaper.

I wanted some Haglofs Gram Shell Mitts as they were GTX for durability and were seam taped, but I’m not sure if they are still made.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

Thanks Brad.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I too have the MLD eVent mitts – I love them but seam sealing them was, as I recall, a big hassle.  I think I used the better part of entire roll of paper towels as I stuffed them before I sealed them.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

MLD eVent mitt shells are not really waterproof after spending hours backpacking in the rain.  Their hydrostatic head must be low because water sponges inside when gripping wet objects etc.

And really there’s no such thing as waterproof gloves or mittens—as arm water will gravity feed down to the wrist cuffs and let in fluids.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

EVent is waterproof to at least 10K mm, although that would be the 3 layer stuff.  I believe that MLD uses 2 layer fabric so maybe that is the problem.

Having said that, one issue with eVent is that it is not as abrasion resistant as something like Gortex.

As far as water coming in through the sleeves, this would not be a concern for me in moving fast over high altitude ridges in driving rain, sleet, and snow (of which I just encountered this weekend in the Rockies) using trekking poles.  I wouldn’t use them at camp where my arms may be more relaxed.  As long as the cuff is decent, it should keep most water out.  I mean my gaiters keep water off my calves in the rain assuming I have the elastic cuff in play.

I did find these that look like they have a sufficient elastic cuff but not completely sure.  Any experience with this one:

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/revel-shell-mitts-271551

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

David, I have a pair of the OR Revel shell mitts, and I like them a lot (partly because I picked them up at 50% off). The durability and performance of the Pertex Shield waterproofing remains to be seen, as I’ve not used that material before. I’ve used them when snowshoeing in a snow storm, and they’ve performed well for me. The seams are all taped, and I’ve not had my liners get moist at all. They seem pretty durable and well made, as one would expect from OR.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

Awesome – thanks Gary

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

REI has some GoreTex over mitts that Section Hiker seems to like quite a bit.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Gore Tex and seamed tape are both good in my book.  1.8oz might be a bit heavier then you are looking for but still worth a look.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

David – One thing to think about is how the cuff of the mitten cinches around your wrist.  It looks like the REI Gore-Tex mittens use velcro to snug it shut, but I’m guessing that could lead to a lot of water getting in your hands.  The OR Revel mittens seem better.

What I’ve found works best for me in a downpour is to put the gauntlet of the MLD mitten under my rain shell and to cinch it snug (but not tight) around my forearm.  I then pull my rain shell sleeve over the mitten and cinch that around my wrist.  That means that water has to do a zig-zag up my arm to get down into my hands.  I typically only use my mittens if it’s cold and raining (low 50’s or colder) and I’ll sometimes put a pair of light wind-stopper running gloves under them.  It just seems to be more comfortable for me.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Both the MLD eVent mitts and the Borah gear mitts have never worked well for me in sustained rain.

What has worked well for me is something like this, worn as an outer layer:

https://www.showagloves.com/showa-281-temres?gi=6oqhpuea8d071c88st9kkv3cm2#.XzRsFChKhhE

With a liner glove inside like this one worn underneath:

https://defeet.com/products/duraglove-et-charcoal-wool-w-black-grippies

The combination works great when it’s cold and wet; you could try a lighter weight liner for more extended wear.

When it’s not so cold, I just let my hands get wet.

I might have seen this on Skurka’s blog a few years back.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Why not the Borah eVent? It’s 3 layer and very light- less than 1 oz per pair.

https://borahgear.com/eventmitts.html

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Maybe I did a bad job with the seam sealing but the MLD event mitts are absolutely NOT waterproof. At. All. Total fail used on my motorcycle in the rain. They are warm when hiking in the rain, though. Maybe that’s the most important thing.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Maybe I did a bad job with the seam sealing but the MLD event mitts are absolutely NOT waterproof. At. All. Total fail used on my motorcycle in the rain. They are warm when hiking in the rain, though. Maybe that’s the most important thing.
    I don’t think judging over-mitts by their performance on a motorcycle is really fair to them. The rain can really impact. For a m/c you really need heavy vinyl fabric like on yachting jackets.
    I still have a motorcycle license.

Cheers

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Now here’s a retro idea. I still use a pair of waxed cotton overmitts I bought sometime in the early ’70s.

Occasional re-proofing with Fjällräven wax keeps them pretty waterproof.

They are comfortable, durable and warm. I’ve never felt the need to replace them.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Waxed cotton is awesome stuff. Hard to find nowadays.

If the OP is interested in a do-it-yourself project, Tyvek overmittens are pretty easy to make. Simple patterns are available for download and the pattern I used had only 3 pieces. I used a flexible glue to put the pieces together. People with sewing skills could also sew them together.

Tyvek mitten

Andy Stow
    BPL Member

@andys

Locale: Midwest USA

These are the real deal for motorcycle use.

https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-triple-digit-covers.html

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

One consideration when comparing the Borah and the MLD is that MLD can do a one handed cinch since the toggle is anchored to the mitt. The Borah does not have this feature and so I have found I have to use teeth to cinch down my second mitt when putting them on. Not the end of the world but slightly annoying.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Dave, if you can find them, I’d highly recommend the Extremities Tough Bags. I’ve been using them for a number of years now after having tried mitts from MLD and others.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

Thanks all for the replies.

Herman
    BPL Member

@hre814

Locale: Alaska

I have the ones from Zpacks. They work well.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

David – please let us know which you choose, why and how they work out.

Rowan G
    BPL Member

@hikingrowan

Extremities Tuffbags – Goretex. Great mitts.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Recently picked up the ones that EE makes.  Not sure how much use they will see this winter here in Socal.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools