Topic

Waterdrop 1.5gal gravity bag – great deal!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Waterdrop 1.5gal gravity bag – great deal!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Just picked up a Waterdrop 1.5gal gravity bag and just wanted to give a lil headsup about it.

I’ve been looking for something with a little more capacity than my 3l platy for group trips for a while and finally found this one and happens to be a great deal as well. (im not affiliated in any way with them)

(1.5gal=5.67L)

Came with a tube(quick release connect!), tube lock, and carry strap

weight specs:

Hose clamp-  3g
    Hose –  60g- 2.1oz – (pretty long, will probably trim)
    Bag , 4.7oz
    Carry strap, 2.5oz (ditch for paracord)

I added a paracord  + mittenhook strap instead for a couple grams.

I believe I got it for just under $14 at the time. But it looks like its $15.99 right now, which is still a great deal compared to other options I found.

My only wish would be that it was 2gal for a dry camp with 3 people.

I field tested it once and performed just fine, but i can’t speak to the long term durability just yet.

https://www.waterdropfilter.com/products/waterdrop-gravity-water-bag-compatible-water-filter-straw

(on amazon as well..)

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Nice. I’m experimenting with this as well.

I’ve rigged a 3L wine box bladder to the Rapid Pure cartridge filter that came with my gravity kit, and I like that system a lot – it’s my favorite technology for filtration (very effective at removing ickies, doesn’t break when frozen, and really fast), but that kit has a heavy bag.

I wish the wine bladder was double the size or more. Wine box bladders are really light. But I’m not really a wine box drinker, does anyone know if you can get larger wine boxes than 3L?

I’m also experimenting with HMG DCF dry bags for the filter bag. It’s promising, but I fear that they won’t be as durable long term as something like a wine box bladder. DCF under pressure is notorious for developing pinhole leaks.

Claiborne B
    BPL Member

@cbrown2019

The largest wine in a box I’ve seen is 5 Liters by Franzia.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

The larger wine-in-a-box liners can also multi-purpose as an air pillow or water-bed pillow.

In the 1980s, Adventure-16 offered a 2.5-gallon bladder in a slightly smaller nylon carrier case (with webbing handle).  Since the nylon was slightly smaller, it took all the stress and weight when the bladder had 20 pounds of water in it.  It was fabulous for desert trips because it would reduce to a fist-sized few ounces when empty.  35 years of use and I’m still on the original bladder (I originally bought a replacement and still have it).  About 20 years ago, I replaced the rubber nipple thing with an identical one off a box of wine.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

Ryan, would you consider posting a photo of how you rigged the wine box bladder to your filter?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools