Topic

Washington State Snow Total

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Washington State Snow Total

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    john mcalpine
    BPL Member

@cowpie

I was just up at Snoqualmie Pass.  I’ve never seen so much snow.  I swear I saw 12-foot tall snow walls cut through the side roads.

I know the snow level has exceeded average.  I’m really concerned for PCT hikers coming thru this year if we don’t see a serious melt.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think the exceptionally high snowfall stats come mostly from lower elevations (like Snoqualmie).  The higher SNOTELs I’ve checked show levels only a little above normal.  So probably that extra snow will melt in plenty of time for the thru hikers.  ‘Course the spring snows haven’t hit yet, so we’ll see.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

High snow levels are a good thing, not bad. Hikers will do as hikers do and manage. The melt out in sub alpine regions can happen very quickly come summer leaving of course the alpine glacial pack.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

yeah snow pack, unless it’s low, is nothing to complain about- no offense to thru hikers, but a good snow pack is something to celebrate about imo

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

One spring (around 1980) in a snowed-in alpine lake in the Cascades we camped on snow in an REI Crestline (A-frame) tent, which has many tie-out points.  I used snow anchors I made out of Al sheet, basically little snow flukes with many holes punched in them to decrease the weight.  They are around  7″ tall and 5″ wide.

During the night the wind picked up and the tent was flapping, so I put on warm clothes and went out to see what was the matter (my wife declined).  Well, the wind was amazingly warm, a “föhn” wind (aka Chinook wind), and it had melted out at least 6″ of snow in a few hours.  Many of my stakes were just laying on top of the snow.

And our tent was sitting on a 6″ snow platform since all the snow around it was gone.

It’s amazing how fast snow can melt out in the Cascades!

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

Let’s count our blessings.  The snow pack impacts a lot more than a few hikers, and the higher than normal snow levels in the Cascades are almost universally considered a good thing up here.  Let’s hope we don’t get an early spring with higher than normal temperatures and/or a lot of rain.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools