Topic

Warmth comparison of Polartech High Loft Fleece

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Warmth comparison of Polartech High Loft Fleece

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I also live in the Mid Atlantic, and feel your pain:  it rains, a lot, even when temps are in the mid-30s.  It gets humid as fudge.  Not Florida or Louisiana humid, mind you, but still can be oppressive and miserable.  And bugs are everywhere.  I always chuckle when I read posts that say “bug net/bivy for when it’s buggy” and all I can think of is “when is it not buggy?”  Don’t get me started on the rodents…

Anyways, I get the desire and need for fleece around here; it’s a little bit more comfortable than a lightweight down or synthetic sweater–nowhere near as clammy feeling.  On that front, I prefer wool over synthetic fleece.  It breathes better, dries better, can be warmer, can be cooler, and is certainly more comfortable when it’s hot, humid, and raining.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Ya know, I’ve had both heavy 300 weight Polarguard fleece and Thermolite Micro fiber insulated jackets get very damp with sweat and by a 10 F. to 15 F. morning (hanging in my vestibule) either one would be kinda frozen.

i.e. They both would sound crinkly and feel stiff until I wore them for about 15 minutes. Then they went back to “damn damp” as they were at the end of the previous day’s backcountry skiing. But the 300 weight Polarguard always dried faster. Yeah, it was heavier and not as warm as the Thermolite Micro but felt drier on me.

It’s always a problem drying anything in truly cold winter weather. GTX parkas are in that category but often you can beat a lot of frost off the inside of them.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools