Topic

Warm socks for cold weather and static use – Lorpen?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Warm socks for cold weather and static use – Lorpen?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

Hi there,

I’m looking for warm socks for the cold winter weather (-5 to -20C) to use a) in the camp and b) in my hiking boots (technical scarpa boots, no dedicated winter hiking boots).

I don’t get cold while hiking, but as I’m a photographer I often have times where I’m rather static and don’t move so much. I’m still wearing hiking boots then though. If I know this before, I’d change my socks to stay warm.

I came across Lorpen, they have polartec socks that seem to be quite warm but I didn’t find too much information.

Does anyone have experience with them or can recommend anything else?

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

In my experience, both moving and staying static at the lower end of those temperatures, a VBL is key. I buy oven bags at the supermarket.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

VBL is essential.  I like a thin liner sock/VBL/thick merino wool sock combination. And of course, gaiters.  You might also think about overboots.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools