Topic

Warm Down Jacket/Parka Recs.?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Warm Down Jacket/Parka Recs.?

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Yes it’s basically the same other than the sizing.  The top row is the Japan size measurements and the bottom are US.  This is just for the Alpine as other jackets are different.

Sizing

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Thank you, John. I’d thought that U/S, U/M, etc. was referring to a unisex sizing scheme, but I just compared the U/M column against the garment dimensions on the Montbell US site and they are identical.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

For the MH Phantom, it seems the fabric is pretty thin and wold tear easily.  What has been your daughter’s experience and is there possibly a similar jacket that has a more durable outer fabric?  Thank you.

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

Montbell for sure if you want the best value for the money. Often you can save a lot more by going to Montbell Japan and buying the same thing for way less. If its a japanese model though keep in mind the sizing is smaller so check the charts.

Id probably recommend the american version of the Permafrost parka if you want something insanely warm – I think 9ounces of down, fully waterproof goretex shell, and about 24 ounces total still. No sealed seams but its the lightest parka with a waterproof shell I know of not available from a cottage place. They have lots of other light ones as well.

Keep in mind the japanese permafrost is much lighter because it also has lightly less down (but also significantly cheaper)

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

@Christopher S.  If that was meant for me, as someone pointed out earlier, the jackets are not that long and I have a long XXL torso.  Thank you.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

@Brett Peugh,

Better late than never. The MHW Phantom Parka is quite good for tall toros people, it is long both front and rear.

Fabric is plenty durable for our families use, but everything is a trade off.

For us BPL’ers, 20d is pretty beefy fabric, and adding the Diamond fuse technology can only bump that up.

Still, if you are expecting hard/rough use, you will want something stronger.

BTW, they are on sale now for $199. I fear that’s because they are discontinuing them.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Thanks, too bad they are already out of the XXLs.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools