Topic

Wanting to make my cuben Supermid into a Triplex

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Wanting to make my cuben Supermid into a Triplex

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

So I have a cuben supermid with innernet from MLD, which is great for my family, though I also really like my Plex tents from zpacks.

The cuben supermid is 19oz, and the innernet is 16.55oz. Fully enclosed tent is mandatory for wife. I would like to convert my supermid into a tarptent though.

I don’t need the versatility of only using the innernet by itself or not taking it….if I’m taking the supermid, it means I’m taking the fam…..which means fully enclosed. If I do this mod…maybe I’ll get a sil supermid for winter use or a used megalight or something.

Anyway, the innernet just has soo much mesh…that is really not needed. It cuts the interior volume by several inches in all dimensions. And…MLD only makes the floor in .75oz cuben…I haven’t had an issue yet but….kids will be kids…and even with my double thick polycryo (duck brand extra large patio window kit), I still worry about the floor. Would rather have 1oz cuben like the triplex.

However, I almost always have 1 supermid door open…so I would like a half mesh door in the front. Basically, like what bearpawwd does ->

The supermid innernet floor is 100″x100″ (90×90 with 5″ bathtub), so I would buy 6 yards of 1.0z cuben for $162.

The idea is to either copy the MLD corner struts, or make zpacks style corners that are just folded. Making the bathtub floor should be fairly straightforward.

I would then suspend the bathtub floor basically just like it already is…where its attached to the tarp guyouts via shockcord. The netting mesh isn’t under tension in the innernet..so its not holding up the bathtub floor anyway currently ->

I was planning on making trapezoidal shapped mesh panels that would be sewn to the bathtub and then directly to the edge of the tarp.

However, I think I would add a length of grosgrain that is 1/4″-1/2″ shorter than the length of the mesh, so the mesh is never fully under tension. Like I would add it near the grosgrain here ->

Anybody see any caveats or pitfalls with trying to do something like this? Another idea instead of sewing the mesh directly to the peterimeter of the tarp, is to do like HMG does with their perimeter netting and sew the mesh to a strip of cuben and then tapes it and angles it inward…but I don’t see why adding that extra weight would really help with anything here ->

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I’m guessing that selling the supermid/innernet and getting a triplex is out of the question? Just seems like a lot of work.

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Sorry for the confusion there…now I can’t edit the title. I’m really just wanting to turn the supermid into a tarptent…..even with increasing the bathtub floor from .75 to 1oz cuben, it should still decrease the overall weight by 4-5 oz, and increase the living space by quite a bit.

I already have a duplex and triplex…the triplex is pictured in the first photo in the post.

Derek Weeks
    BPL Member

@lighting12

I was just wondering, if you ever finished making the Supermid mods?

I wanting to buy a Supermid and do something similar, but hesitant to start sewing on such expensive tent.

Do you find the ZPacks tent to small for three people I was thinking 60″ W may be tight for 3 sleeping mats?

Thanks!

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

The triplex can work for 3….but only if its 1 adult and 2 kids. Otherwise its a bit too tight. Now…I should try it out if you had like 3 hyperlite pads….where the person in the middle is sleeping the opposite direction…but I imagine it would still be tight.

Anyway, no…I have not done this mod yet but will still love to have a supermid done with it though! I chickened out doing it myself…..I’m not skilled enough. So that leaves probably sending it to bear paw, which they would do…I just haven’t gotten a quote yet.

I wouldn’t be that worried about sewing onto the supermid…you woudl just be sewing the bottom perimeter of the tarp, so even if you cut your mod out, it wouldn’t effect the tarp much.

Derek Weeks
    BPL Member

@lighting12

Thanks for the quick response! I going to rule out the Triplex for the wife and kid wouldn’t be enough room for the mats we use.

I think I may sew the bug netting and floor on my Duomid and see how it works was going to sale it anyway, so less worried about messing it up. If and when I do it I will post pictures here to let you know how it went! :)

Thanks agin for the information!

Derek

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools