Topic

Want to SEE a Zpacks Duplex tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Want to SEE a Zpacks Duplex tent

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Shelley C
    BPL Member

@schacon

Does anybody live near by Huntington Beach, Calif (Southern LA County or Orange Co) with a Zpacks Duplex tent you’d be willing to let me BRIEFLY look at set up???

It looks great on paper / pics but I am horrible at picturing from stats.  (In past I did my research and went to REI planning to buy the Big Agnes Fly Creek. BUT… set it up, hated and instead bought the Copper Spur which I still love but want to cut weight now).  Anybody know how these (Copper Spur & Duplex) compare in livability?

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

I have both a Copper Spur 1 person and a ZPacks Hexamid twin (predecessor to Duplex) which I use as a 1 person shelter. I like the Copper Spur lots, but have never carried the extra 1 lb since getting the roomier ZPacks. However, I have to warn you the tarp-tent is quite drafty, so if you are already sleeping cold maybe the Z-Packs won’t really save you much weight.

Shelley C
    BPL Member

@schacon

Thanks for that.  I have the UL-2 as I want to be able to go by myself (roomier) and with partner about 50/50 so substantial wt savings from Duplex!

Carol W
    BPL Member

@tgaero

Locale: pacific northwest

I have both.  The Copper Spur is actually a little bit smaller footprint, although it is still fine for two adults who are comfortable together.  We have a small dog with us in the tent, and the Zpacks is better for that.  The Zpacks is an airy, not very warm tent and it does not do well if it is raining- everything will get damp inside from condensation unless you leave a door open on each side, and even then, there still might be a lot of condensation.  If you are hiking in the high Sierra, you will be warmer in a double walled tent that you can keep zipped up.  But if you aren’t going when it is super cold or wet, the Zpacks probably makes more sense.  Hope that helps.

Spencer Hammer
    BPL Member

@hammertime

I have both – If you use trekking poles and want to save weight then Duplex is the way to go.  The Copper Spur poles are 16oz alone!  Copper Spur is great for car camping or to give to new backpackers who need an easy system set up everytime.  I have over 40+ nights in my Duplex and it is hard to find a better replacement for liveability, and I use it just for me :)

Spencer Hammer
    BPL Member

@hammertime

A use tip on the Duplex – pull out the head and foot panel tie outs as far as the cord line will go when staking in the ground, it will provide more room for head and feet and help avoid your sleeping quilt from touching the single wall CF material.

Spencer Hammer
    BPL Member

@hammertime

If you can wait until November I’m hosting a gear review picnic in San Diego and will have a variety of tents on display for people to sit in:

PCT MeetUp San Diego: Gear reviews, Shake-Down, Food & Free Gifts Raffle

Saturday, Nov 11, 2017, 9:00 AM

20 Members Went

Check out this Meetup →

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Lurking on this thread, but definitely interested in this PCT meet-up.  Thanks for posting.

Carol W
    BPL Member

@tgaero

Locale: pacific northwest

Zpacks lets you return the tent if you get it and don’t like it, so if you have nothing to lose other than return shipping which will be minimal since the tent is so light. If you want to try the BA, you can buy it at REI and return it if you don’t like it. I should add that we use our Duplex almost all summer and we just deal with the condensation in certain conditions (rain, lots of dew, fog, etc.) because of the substantial weight savings and livability. It has survived lots of rain and even a huge hail storm, but it just wasn’t fun due to all the condensation and splash back. Sometimes even if we leave the doors open and pick the best campsite, condensation is inevitable in a single walled tent. So just understand what you are getting into and bring a couple camp towels to mop up in the morning and maybe in the middle of the night. One other negative on tents that require hiking poles is if you set up your tent as a base tent and go for a hike and want your poles, you have to somehow secure the tent. My husband used to hike with just one pole and I always take two, but now we each take two, and if we go on a day hike, we leave the tent up and each hike with just one pole.

Not to complicate things, but I actually gave my BA to my grown daughter since she needed a tent and we weren’t convinced the BA was what we really needed for a second tent, so I bought a new Halland 2 LW.  I haven’t used it yet, but we will this fall.  I wanted a double walled tunnel tent which will do better in storms and keep us drier inside and warmer.  The reason I chose this tunnel over other similar tents is it has an almost entirely solid inner and the door has the ability to either be mesh or solid so if it is warm and buggy, you can get some air, and if it is cold/windy, you can close it up. But if the weather forecast isn’t too cold and stormy, I will still bring the Duplex every time.

Erik A
    BPL Member

@ealerstam

Shelley, If you’re ever in the Pasadena area I’ll gladly show you my Duplex. Just send me a PM.

”V” (CzechClown)
    BPL Member

@czechclown

sent you a PM

Robert R
    BPL Member

@rob-r

Locale: North Texas

I have a new Duplex, am 6 feet tall and use a long EE quilt. My head and feet do not touch the tent fabric. I do use a Z Lite Sol pad, not an inflatable one.

Shelley C
    BPL Member

@schacon

Carol W. how do you like your new Halland 2 LW?

Shelley C
    BPL Member

@schacon

Spencer Lawes:  You replied to me a YEAR ago when I was asking about BA Copper Spur UL2 vs Zpacks Duplex with:

If you can wait until November I’m hosting a gear review picnic in San Diego and will have a variety of tents on display for people to sit in. . .
    I waited to buy but I am now again interested in buying the Duplex.  Are you going to have another meet up in the near future?

Shelley

Stephen Bing
    BPL Member

@stephbing

Locale: SoCal

If you still want to see a Duplex in person, I’m in North Hollywood and can meet in a park.

Spencer Hammer
    BPL Member

@hammertime

I traded my Duplex for a Subaru and restored the vehicle!

i have the prototype Plexamid and made a short funky fun video while out on the PCT:
    <div>Watch this video on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/265503676. Don’t have the Vimeo app? Get it from the App Store: http://bit.ly/vimeo_ios</div&gt;

I do plan on hosting another gear review picnic MeetUp in late October/November in San Diego.  Other tents to display: BA Tiger Wall 2, LHG Firefly

Robert R
    BPL Member

@rob-r

Locale: North Texas

Which model Subaru?

Spencer Hammer
    BPL Member

@hammertime

Legacy GT Limited sedan – will be at SubieFest in October 2015 in Los Angeles

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools