Topic

Walk, Hike, Saunter by Susan Alcorn

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Walk, Hike, Saunter by Susan Alcorn

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Years ago I was going through a difficult time in life, suffering from depression and just basically struggling. I spent a lot of time at the library reading books about women who climbed mountains and did other solo outdoor adventures. I wished I could be like them. When I finished every book in the library I started buying books like this from the bookstore.

Eventually I adopted a mantra like one of the women I read about who climbed the 7 summits and used it to climb stadium stairs. I got stronger and started hiking local trails. I still remember the nightmares I had on my first solo night sleeping out on the trail and the feelng of triumph when I hiked out the next morning having succeeded in becoming a solo woman backpacker.

About a year ago or so a friend of mine hooked me up with Susan Alcorn and I answered her interview questions. Now I am one of the people in her book Walk, Hike Saunter. I went from reading stories about adventurous women to being a story in a real book myself! How cool is that? I feel really honored to be in the company of such great women. A lot of the women in the book are women I have looked up to for a long time.

I hope you’ll take a look.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Very cool, Diane! I will check it out.

Joy
    Spectator

@j0y

This looks like just the kind of winter reading I need!  Thank you for sharing!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools