Topic

Wales Coast Path – a six week coastal hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Wales Coast Path – a six week coastal hike

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

This past summer we took a fantastic six week hike on the Wales Coast Path. We just added the trip report over at our website: http://doingmiles.com/2018-08-wales-coast-path/

We hope you enjoy it. Amy & James

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Thanks, again, Amy for a fabulous trip report.  I want to be you when I grow up.

“The Welsh claim that they are the only country in the world with a path along its entire coast, although there is a walkable roughly 4 mile route that hugs the coast of the tiny country of Monaco.”

Oregon isn’t a country (although it’s 12 times the size of Wales and 126,000 times the size of Monaco) and all their coastline is public.  Although I’d suggest a pack raft if you aim to do all 363 miles.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

David,

Actually, we have completed the Oregon Coast Trail a number of years ago. See http://doingmiles.com/2008-07-oregon-coast/

We knew nothing about packrafts at the time, but agree with you that using one would likely significantly improve the experience of doing that route by eliminating significant pieces of road walking. I have mapped a strawman packraft version of the OCT and believe that by using a raft wherever I thought might be reasonable, about 85 miles of pavement could be by-passed. People with actual experience using packrafts may disagree with what I imagined might be possible.

In Wales, there were a couple of places where having a packraft could have eliminated inland pieces of the route, but those portions were interesting enough and offered enough variety that we would recommend staying on the walking path and not bother carrying a raft.

James (and Amy)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

“People with actual experience using packrafts may disagree with what I imagined might be possible.”

Or they might be more ambitious.  Consider Hig and Erin’s 4,000-mile trip from WA to the Aleutian Islands, entirely on foot, skis, and pack raft, written up in her book,  “A Long Trek Home”.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Amy, your reports are amazing.  I’m going to hit you up one day in the future to discuss a Europe hike with my wife….one day when the kids are all out of the house and we’re free to travel.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools