Topic

Wader Recommendations?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Wader Recommendations?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Looking for an inexpensive stockingfoot chest wader… I already have neoprene, need something lighter to replace a breathable pair I ruined many years ago.  I don’t know much about what’s on the market today.

Looking at stuff like this:

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Classic-StockingFoot-Waders-for-Men/product/15011707521619/

Anything else I should be looking at that you’ve been happy with?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Hard to beat those for the price.  Years ago I went with LL Bean Emerger as I figured their lifetime warranty might come in handy if anything happened.

Patagonia waders can be had on clearance every now and then, especially if you are a short.

Scott Penman
    BPL Member

@scottpenman

Locale: Missouri-Colorado

My experience with those quality of waders is not good. They tend to either spring a leak from being snagged on a branch or slid across a rock or the seams leach water very quickly.

I’d look for Simms or Orvis on sale. You likely wont pay much more than when you go back to buy a second pay of $100 waders.  Just my two cents on the topic.

Robert R
    BPL Member

@rob-r

Locale: North Texas

Just a quick update on this thread.  I have several sets of waders ranging from Patagonia chest waders, to Frogg Toggs waist waders to hip waders.  I have used my hip waders the most.  Over two years ago, I chose a brand called Chota Hippies.  I have been through several states with these waders and into some pretty thick brush during fishing.  They have held up but along the way developed pinhole leaks in the shin area (expected when bushwacking) to a large gash in the material above the knee.  I repaired the pinhole leaks which are easy to spot using rubbing alcohol, a spray bottle and aquaseal or seam grip.  The gash on the knee was easily fixed also with a leftover bit of ripstop from an old air mattress repair kit.  I continue to use these waders to this day with no leakage.  The majority of situations I am in which requires waders, the water is generally knee deep or less, especially if fishing a headwaters area or a tributary stream feeding a larger river.  Whenever these waders ultimately fail, I will replace them with another pair.  I have the camo version of the waders.

https://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/products/chota-hippies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools